Is it okay to start introducing fish into my 1 year old's diet?

People have had differing opinions about this and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some solid information rather than just opinion. I'm a first-time mom so I'm not sure about all the different foods.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 10:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. "You can introduce fish to most babies as early as 6 months, says Frank Greer, a pediatrician and former chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) "

2. Fish is one of the top eight allergenic foods, and experts used to advise parents to wait until their baby's first birthday before introducing it. That advice has now changed.

In 2008, the AAP released a report stating that there's probably no reason to wait to introduce allergenic foods until your baby reaches a certain age. "There is no evidence that delaying their introduction prevents food allergies," says Greer.

3. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that you avoid feeding your child shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish – large predatory fish that contain the highest levels of mercury

4. Two easy ones to remember are: Wild pacific salmon (not farmed) and canned light tuna (not albacore).
    Armygrl1

Answer by Armygrl1 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Wow. I was actually thinking of asking the same question. I'm looking forward to the answers.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• As long as you don't have a history of fish allergies in your family, I don't see why not.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If there are no seafood allergies in your immediate family (you or S/O), it is okay to try. They say when trying new foods that possibly could cause allergies, to try them and wait 3 or 4 days for a reaction.
    No allergies in our family, so DD tried fish when she was 12 months old.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/introducingfishtobaby.htm

Here you go. This is generally considered a very reliable source. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my daughter loved salmon at that age
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My doctor was for it at a year. She just told us to make sure it was properly cooked. We do stay away from tuna still. My daughter is a very picky 16 month old but fish is one of the few things she will gobble down.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The american academy of pediatrics says that infants over 6 months with no history of family allergies can have seafood. Stage 3 baby food has a salmon dinner :) I started my son at 8 months on seafood :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010