When do I to start timeouts?

My daughter is 23 months and I want to start using timeouts but I dont think sghe quite understands what it is yet. When did you start using timeouts?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started at 1 year old. 1 minute sitting in a chair.
    at 2, it became 2 minutes
    1 minute for each year old.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I started using timeouts as my son approached his first birthday. I put him in his play-yard because he hates it and that way he can't get out. I don't recommend using a crib or a high chair, because those should be used specifically for eating or sleeping. You don't want him/her to associate those places with punishment. Definitely start using timeout. It's the best way to teach them. Good luck!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 10:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We started around 1 year. Now @ 22 months he puts HIMSELF on the couch or chair when we tell him he needs a timeout to calm down.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I started at 14 months with her on my lap. i told her she can leave when she acts nicely. she picked up on the idea fast.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 10:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Time outs do not work. It only gives you a break from the inappropriate behavior. Talk them through what you want them to do. 23 months is so young for them to remember and know what you expect of them. If you help them know what is expected, they start to remember and do less and less. Also a time out is used to have them sit and think about what they did and what to do next time, a 23 month old can't do that. Use the valuable asset of positive reinforcement. Catch them doing things appropriately. Say I like it when you tell me when you are angry. Way to use your words! Mommy likes it when you (whatever). Give them a kiss on the head. They will try to please you and do it over and over again. Tell her what a big girl she is. Don't be in a hurry to engage in punishment, kids respond to positive action much better.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• children understand take away. put her/him in the chair and make her/him sit there for a few minutes and take away tv, the toy, whatever it is she/he is playing with. Tell the child that they have to do what you are asking them to do and not what they want to do. if the child cries, let them cry it is only a tantrum to get their way dont give in they will STOP once they see that they arent going to have their way. Then you tell them the next time they dont listen to you, they will sit in the chair even longer. Then you give back the toy, tv etc. The child will test you again. Follow through with what you told them the first time. Make the child sit in the chair for a few minutes. It will seem soooo long, ( its only for a few minutes) to them because they want to play, watch tv etc. continue this type of reinforcement. the child will start to listen and disciple will be working

huntergal

Answer by huntergal at 2:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010