Fun stuff to do with your kid when you're broke?

Well I'm broke (litterally broke!) and my car is on E....so my son and I won't be doing anything all week. What are some ideas that I could do to make our week a little interesting?
I was thinking of putting him in the stroller and going for a walk down our road....we could play outside and get in the pool - but we can't do that very much because we are both sunburnt from our trip to the beach a few days ago. I'm tired of just poping in cartoons for him to watch so I don't really wanna do that. =/ uhhhh it's gonna be a long week.

NatesMommy118

Asked by NatesMommy118 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• how old is he?
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• soapy hand bubbles. take a big pail or the dish tub you use and put way more than normal dish soap in. add water, splash and dunk your arms and use your hands to make giant hand bubbles. i sue to use this when I babysat and now my kids love it!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• going to the park, making music with pots and pans and spoons, dancing (DD loves this one, even though she kind of just stomps her feet), sing kids songs, coloring
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If you have any empty egg cartons, you can do a lot with them. There are all sorts of crafts you can make with them. You can use them as a starter for plants (all you need is a little dirt and a couple of seeds).
    You can make a fort out of blankets and chairs. You could make sock puppets and put on a little puppet show. You could blow up a balloon and play keep it up where you don't let it hit the floor. You can play target practice with a little bean bag and a cardboard box.

Good luck to you!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Is there a park near by where you live?? That's always a can be broke fun idea. lol
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Depends on how old he is. Make some playdough and play with that. Help him create a book. Ask him what his favorite (whatever) is. Have him tell the story. Then he can draw and color the pictures. Say tell me about the (whatever), say its an animal and he says skunk. Start out and say once upon a time there was a skunk named and then ask him what name he wants it to have. Thats the first page. One day Buddy went to the (whatever he picks). When he got there he (whatever he says). Be creative. On the bottom of each page write exactly what he says. Make the story 4-5 pages long. Then when he's done he can send it to someone special. Make sure you have him make a cover. Author and illustrator listed as him.

Otherwise, you could make a club. He can cut yarn, give him scotch tape, markers, paper, etc... He can make a club and put up signs, etc. You could paint with trucks and cars, read books.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• oh sorry my son is 17 months. There isn't a park close by where we can walk to. Thanks for the ideas!!
    NatesMommy118

Comment by NatesMommy118 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• we go on picnics.... in the backyard or anyplace we can walk to near us ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Fingerpainting, coloring, you could get out some glue, paper, and macaroni noodles, put the glue on the paper for him and show him how to put the noodles on the glue..
    mrskgill06

Answer by mrskgill06 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My 2yo DS really likes Spongebob, so in order to let him enjoy Sponge without the TV on I will take printer paper and markers and draw Spongebob, Gary, and Patrick, then cut them out like paperdolls and he'll play with them for a long time. Also I put his slide in his little wading pool. Wheee! I let him help me cook (or if it's too messy/hot/difficult for him I just give him a bowl and a spoon to "cook" with). Also, YouTube is great. If my son wants to see a shark, we can look up a video about sharks on YouTube. Or penguins, or bicycles, or puppies, you name it. Definitely read the description and comments before pushing play, just to make sure.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010