Isn't all adoption "non- profit?"

I know this might seem like a strange question, but isn't it illegal to have a "for profit" adoption? Wouldn't "for profit" mean that they are legally selling babies?

Now, I am very aware that the whole non- profit thing is a total sham. The adoption professionals who run thier businesses take huge salaries and all kinds of crazy things to be able to maintain their non- profit status.

I sometimes will get some comments about- "well, be sure to choose a non- profit agency." My first thought to that is that they are all "non- profit." Am I right?

hollyanne31

Asked by hollyanne31 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Adoption

• good question, I have no idea because there seems to be huge expense when adopting a child domestic or foreign
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• There is an adoption group on here that can answer that question for you.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/28354
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The people who work at the agency I went through are by no means paid a whole lot. There are legal fees, sometimes birthmom's medical care, and many more things involved that need to be paid for - that the adoptive parents pay - the fees do not go into the pockets of the agency workers by any means, unless it's "that kind" of agency. There are good ones out there that do it the right way.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf

this might help....irs forms for qualifying for non-profit status
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have a relative who works in a "Non-profit" nursing home. I believe that NON-PROFIT means that there can't be any money left-over by the end of the year. It doesn't necessarily control how they spend the money. I know that the blue-collar staff works for beans, even short-handed a lot of times. Maybe most of the white-collar salaries are modest, but the administrators usually have a pretty decent salary. All salaries are covered in "expenses". Whenever there would be money left at the end of the year, they usually do a very LARGE-SCALE remodeling job, on their areas that visitors see. (All new furniture, TV's, carpet, lighting, paint, crown molding, etc.) so that they can still claim the non-profit status, because they used up the "would-be" profit before the end of the year. I wish the money would be spent on more quality beds for the residents or equipment for the staff.

I agree, OP, they are all "non-profit".
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Hollyanne, this is a great question, and varies widely by each states definition. In simplicity,(if there were such a thing),, a NON-PROFIT agency is comprised of members, whom run it, and most time simply means it is done so for the purpose of tax-exemption.; as long as the org/agency operates within its exempt purposes & maintains an endowment OR uses excess revenues to further develop its activities, it then will not be taxed by the I.R.S. Alot of times donations to it will be tax deductible for the person donating. Thus the org./agency will remain tax exempt as long as it does not engage in "outside" or 'unrelated" businesses/activities. I came across a site, am trying to find it...that list almost ALL adoption agencies, and all were classified "non- profit"...but to see all the salaries/bonuses given, it will blow you away. I printed it, and have it in my 100,00 pages of adoption info, including LDS, CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No. There are both Non-Profit and For-Profit adoption agencies. http://glossary.adoption.com/adoption-agencies.html I can't remember the names of any For-Profit ones off the top of my head but I could tell you quite a few that really put the "profit" in "non-profit."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The adoption workers do not necessarily make a whole lot of money. The frivilousness is seen in the salaries of the agency executives as well as the amount of money they pour into controlling issues in the political arena, so on and so forth. Adoption Social Workers in private agencies are not paid as well as Social Workers working in other fields or for public agency.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• "non-profit" grossly simplified means
    their income cannot exceede their outgo (aka - expenses)
    this way the 'organization' itself is not 'making money' - - however (as NovLov pointed out) their executives do.

If their income gets to a point to be more than their 'expenses' they just increase salaries / bonuses, etc.

Adoption is a ludicrous industry in this country. Think about that ... profit from 'selling' babies to another family?
    JoesGirl

Answer by JoesGirl at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It is illegal to sell babies. It is not illegal to sell services. Adoption related services that can be sold for a profit include legal services, matching services, counseling, social worker services like homestudies, etc. Adoption agencies do not have to be non-profit. Non-profit agencies exist to provide a service and not to earn a profit for an owner, or share holders. Sometimes non-profits do pay huge salaries to CEOs or high level professionals.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010