Do you judge people based on anything but character?

Anything at all?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i would never judge one's character based on their clothing!!  Really?  Go to a job interview at a bank wearing baggy sweat pants and dirty, uncombed hair.  Do you think you will get the job?

shame on all of you that do! Do you put any effort into how you look?  If you do, it's because you care about what others see.

so, do you honestly believe that if someone does not have the money you have to dress the way you do, that they are not good people? Honey, I shop thrift shops.  Anyone can dress the way I do. 

You claim you don't judge people on appearances, but here you are judging a bunch of total strangers by nothing more than a sentence or two.  Shame on you.  

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Everyone does.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• yep, I do not trust people with mullets.....I just dont sorry
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 11:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Your outward appearance (clothing, demeanor, etc) is an expression of your character. So yes, I judge based on those things sometimes. I don't judge based on circumstances of birth (race, sexual orientation, etc). But I do judge based on what you put out there for me to judge you on lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• so, do you honestly believe that if someone does not have the money you have to dress the way you do, that they are not good people?

You can shop frugally and look respectful or you can go to Gliks and spend a fortune and look like trash. Way to not comprehend.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I try my best not to judge people, but I'm human, it happens. If I see someone dressed scandelous, sometimes the first thought in my mind is slut. I have been working on that though. I try to fight those thoughts by finding good attributes about people. I try not to judge a person by their actions because I know that we all make mistakes, but that is hard too. Especially when the person doesn't appear to be trying to better themself or change. If someone has a bad attitude, I would normally judge them as being mean or bitchy, but now I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just having a bad day. It's a work in progress lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I try not to, but do I sometimes? Yea. Sometimes I can't help it, but I can control my behavior and honestly try to remind myself once I start judging someone that it's wrong to judge. I also remind myself that I don't know where they're coming from, or what they're going through.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am just like everyone else. First impressions are lasting impressions. I think that the way people present themselves as far as their choice of appearance says a lot about an over-all attitude. I try to reserve final decisions on actions (words are cheap). I try not to judge at all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with Jesse and Ati. You make the decision on how you are judged by how you present yourself.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• But it's all based on opinion and not fact, Carpy. You might find cultural dress trashy and make a judgment call while others may not. Everyone has their own idea about what is respectful vs trash-

Last I checked, that's part of being individuals. We are ALLOWED to have our own ideas. And the neat part, they don't have to agree. See, that's why we judge people - to find ones who we have things in common with and weed out those we don't. Some people judge a tattoo as a negative. They exclude that person from their "circle" which is find and dandy, because the person with the tat judges the one who doesn't like them as a negative, and excludes that person from their "circle". The worst myth ever perpetuated on society is that we should all be happy and get along with everyone. We're not built that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010