Anybody have a child with bipolar disorder or ODD?

My 6 yo may have bipolar disorder and I was wondering what other moms do to help their child during the day. She is extreamly angry and violent. There is a 6 month waiting list for the psychiatrist, her appointment is not until september. She has already been diagnosed with ODD.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 11:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am BiPolar. Although I'm not a child anymore, I was misdiagnosed as "depressive" at 7 and medicated... If you are afraid it's BPD, start by educating yourself on the disorder - generally. I'm actually reading Bipolar Disorder for Dummies right now, and HIGHLY recommend it. Although it's not about BPD in kids, it's going to give you some great information and does have some information about children. I would also start looking at her diet. Dietary changes can help with many "mental" illnesses including ODD and BPD.

Here is some more information and some links you may want to check out. The more you know the better you can help your daughter... http://bipolar.about.com/cs/kids_diag/a/red_flags4.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i have 2 teens that where diagnosed bipolar plus alot more. the best thing to do is be consistent with punishments and lots of understanding. you can also call the pshychiartist office and see if they have a waiting list so if someone cancels an appointment then they call whoevers next in line. most of all realize they cant help or control what they are doing right now.
    chelle7171

Answer by chelle7171 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010