My one year old still doesn't sleep through the night.

What can I do? I have tried everything people have suggested and NOTHING works. I am trying to be patient but I am getting VERY TIRED. I am a single WAHM. This is becoming such a struggle for me.

I try feeding him an hour before bedtime and then breastfeeding him just before bed. I've stopped breastfeeding him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I have done everything but slip him some Whiskey in his sippy cup. PLEASE HELP ME!!

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've found that people that tell you that kids "sleep through the night" are liars...lol My DD is 3 and she's barely "sleeping through the night"....and even now, we still have nights where she tries to come into bed with us.
    First it's because they're so young and have to eat, then it's teething, then it's because they don't know how to self soothe, then it's more teething, then it's they know how to get out of thier crib and come find you, then it's potty training at night....the list goes on.

I don't know how many times your kiddo wakes up, but unless mine are screaming in pain, they usually cry for a bit....(whine because i'm not there) then they roll over and go back to sleep.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Have you tried letting them cry it out in intervals of 5 min starting and just peeking to check on them then another 5 min. and eventually increase the time? if they are fed, diapered and not sick thats the best way to start. My 18 month old sleeps through the night and has since he was almost 4 months old but I also started to lay him down when he was drowsy at around 2 months old. We follow a bedtime routine every night too...you may have one that doesn't sleep well at night though :/ so I don't know if any of my advice will help. I hope it gets better for you soon.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• neither does my almost 3 year old...never...not even once...during the school year I am a tired mess (I teach)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My 4 year old still does not sleep through the night everynight.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Good luck! My 3 & 4 year olds still don't sleep all night... Never have!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You are going to be tired until after puberty :)

Try to go to bed earlier, nap once during the day if possible even for ony 15 minutes, and learn how to adapt to non consecutive sleep. We cosleep so I get far more sleep that those who don't. I wake up at least once to go to the bathroom at night anyway.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Your child is quite normal.

Co-sleeping saved me (a full-time working mom); it was easy for me to sleep;doze while my daughter nursed during the night.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my two year olds just started sleeping through the night! now i have a 1 month old that does not sleep through the night : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• So NOT the answers I was hoping for...LOL!
    jessflynn

Comment by jessflynn (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Don't know how to help with the breastfeeding issue. My son is on whole milk in sippy cups, off of bottles now. I usually give him a snack before bed including milk, give him a bath, read him a book, and put him in bed. If he wakes up in the night, I go into his room, pick him up and give him a hug and a kiss for minute, change his diaper if it needs it, make sure he has his pacifier, rock him for just like a minute or 2 while standing in front of his crib, and then put him in the crib, tell him i love him, and go out. He usually will always cry when i put him in the crib, but then after a minute he goes back to sleep. I absolutely will not stay up at night to rock him to sleep. He's 18 months old, he can get himself to sleep and stay asleep.Being consistent is the best thing you can do, and eventually he will get used to the routine
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2010