can dogs have OCD?

when my dog eat she will put her head on the floor then in the bowl like 10 times and knock the bowl before she starts to eat then she does it again starts knocking the bowl she does this everytime? if she did have it what do you do?

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pets

• my dogs vet says yes. our dog had some odd behaviors and the vet said it was ocd. he said there wasnt really much he would recomend unless the dog is doing something harmful to itself or others.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Hmm, I'm not sure but it sounds like she may. lol. I'd probably ask her vet but if it's not affecting her quality of life I would leave it alone.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I never thought about that before. I think mine may have it too. Of course, he's just a general mess, so I have not thought much about it before.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Dogs can have obsessive or compulsive behaviors, yes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, dogs can suffer anxiety and compulsive behaviours just like people can. Although if it isn't interfering with her life and her fitting into the family I would probably not push the issue.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, they certainly can. In a lot of cases you will see dogs chasing their tails but it can be many differant things that they will obcess about.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't know, but if I were you I'd try taking her to some kind of animal behaviorist.
    racheljessee

Answer by racheljessee at 7:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010