Would you file for divorce if your husband hit you for the first time?

We were arguing on the way home from the shore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• HELL YES!!!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, I would. Totally I have been married for 20 years and never could I have justified someone hitting me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No, not immediately, but I'd get the hell out of there.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would leave stay with family and demand that we go to some type of counseling, but a big part would depend on the circumstances behind everything. I went through an abusive relationship and I will never allow it to happen again.

I hope your ok mama.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes because so rarely is it only one time. Anyway, nothing makes it okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, once he has hit, there is no turning back.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I believe in the adage...."Hit me once, shame on you, hit me twice, shame on me......" Hard to answer decidedly without knowing you, him, or the circumstances. I don't think I would file so quickly without trying to figure out the underlying issues.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yes i would, hitting leads to punching, kicking, etc. its a lack of respect for you and your family, he should be leading the family and not with a fist, shame on him!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think I'd tell him don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. We teach our children hands are not for hitting, to use their words. It applies to adults too. Hurt feelings run deep and verbal abuse isn't acceptable either, but you can talk through almost anything. Otherwise, everyone else on here is big on time outs, adults need to know when to take a time out and walk away. He doesn't deserve you if he needed to resort to physical violence. It is never ok. I'm not telling you to divorce him, that is your call. But let him know you are serious and he can move out for a while or move into the basement, but you guys need a break.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes I would because once they do it and realize that you will let them get away with it, it's like you have "doormat, pushover, and punching bag" written on your forehead. I have never heard of a man only hitting his wife once. If he'll do it once, he'll do it again and it is not healthy for you or the children. A husband is supposed to love his wife as he loves himself. If he's not doing that, he's not worthy of the title. Best of luck to you.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2010