I'm probably just an overly paranoid new mom...

Okay, so my son's doctor tells me he's in the 5th percentile for his height and weight but that I have nothing to worry about. He says he's perfectly healthy and that he'll eventually catch up with the other kids.

I worry that he'll get hurt by the kids he has play dates with because they're so much bigger than he is. Do I need to increase his eating habits or is there something Ican do? Seriously, I know I can't have him doing bench presses so please don't be rude or sarcastic. I'm just a first-time mom.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 12:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some children are just small. AS long as he is eating the right foods...... it QUALITY of foods, not the QUANTITY! If your doctor says he fine - then I wouldn't worry too much. I know kids that were in the low percentile and they are fine - just THIN!!! How old is your son???

Just keep feeding him good food and let him... make sure he is eating it. He will level out eventually.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I really wouldn't worry about it. If they play respectfully together, it shouldn't be a problem. He'll shoot up when it's time. Just make sure he's eating healthy foods and all will be well.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and still in the 3rd percentile. Feeding him more will only make him gain weight, not height. He's perfect just the way he is, try not to worry so much.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sometimes if a child is taller, the weight and the height don't match up so he/she will be lower because the weight isn't up to standard with the height.
    My ped says there's nothing to worry about unless they stop growing......so unless he's not growing at all, and not making progress, I wouldn't worry about it mama! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Even the big kids get hurt, just ask my tall daughter. :-)
    He'll be fine. Kids can be really sweet, they'll probably be nice and try to protect him.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Honey people come in all shapes and sizes and kids grow at different rates. Forcing him to eat more just increases his risk of obesity as an adult; it wont make him bigger than he's meant to be. Being in the 4th percentile now also doenst necessarily mean that he will be small for his whole life.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• He is going to be who he is. Relax and let him grow as he is going to. Not everyone is going to be tall, average or small in stature. They are all unique. Give him time and let him be a kid. Let him play with his friends and don't put limitations on him that is going to draw attention to it either. You don't want him to grow up thinking there is something wrong with him. Kids are durable and resilient. Listen to your doctor. Its ok to be cautious and being a first time mom makes it hard sometimes. It is amazing what we will let the second and third child do comparatively. The first one we don't want them to breath without us watching over them and by the third one you will let them play on their own reminding them to stay out of the street.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• They make supplementary nutrition drinks for kids his age you could try. You can also try putting more healthy fats in his diet like avocado, and natural peanut or almond butter when he's old enough for those. Fruits also have a fair number of calories (like bananas are not a low calorie food) but are still healthy. These are mostly to ease your own mind if you are worried about weight gain... as it sounds like he's just a small kid and is totally fine. I recommend this drink mix if you that route...http://naturesonedirect.com/penube.html... just cuz it's organic and is actually cheaper than other brands... and you mix it using water, so you don't use up ten gallons of milk.

As for other kids, I wouldn't worry. Small kids toughen up real quick! Never met one who didn't. Your little one will probably be the one beating up the bigger kids. Happens all the time. Trust me. :-)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If his doctor says he's healthy then don't beat yourself up about this!! You know he will catch up for the most part and he may stay a little smaller than other kids his age but as long as he's healthy and happy, let it go! When another child isn't nice to him just remind them that he had the toy first ect. but also teach him to politely stand up for himself and make sure he is getting enough protein, iron, calcium, vitamins and minerals! Good Luck!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 12:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My daughter has the same issue. We went through a period that most toddlers do where she wouldn't eat. We took muffin pans out and filled each hole with a different healthy snack and left it out for her to eat as she felt the need. We also bought pediasure and mixed half and hald with her whole milk. We call it princess milk. She has finally started to gain a little weight and definately looks healthier. She also is the smallest at most playgroups that we go to. I keep a close watch becasue the reality is she could get hurt. If a child is too aggresive I remove her from the situation. She definately has learned to stand up for herself and is not afraid to join in with other kids. Its good to let them work it out but you also have to be careful when your child is smaller.
    EmandMike

Answer by EmandMike at 12:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2010