Want to move down south

I want to relocate from Michigan to North Carolina, but I've been reading on the internet that most schools down there are no good. I know that the humidity is terrible in the south as well. I want to move so bad, but I don't know any good states to move to, can anyone give me some advice?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Travel

• I think anywhere you go, you will find something bad written somewhere about it. You can't base your decisions on reading stuff on the internet. If you really want to go somewhere, visit there first. Spend some time getting to know the area, talk to people, etc. I moved from the Chicago area to the southeast. It's definitely 100% more humid here than it was there, but I love it! I would never go back to where I lived before. If anything, I would love to move further south.

Good Luck!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well I dont know anything about NC but we are from Texas and we now live in Virginia and we love it, I havent heard anything bad about the schools, but my son isnt school age yet
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 12:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I live in Alabama... if North Carolina is anything like AL... then some schools are good, some are not! The South gets a lot of flack! People don't understand us, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. I have lived all over and this is where I choose to stay.

Look around the area you want to move... see how the schools are. Good luck!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My older brother was in the Navy 11 years ago and was stationed in Norfolk and he said it was so nice down there. I don't know much about Virginia, but I heard that it was a good state to move to. How's the weather down there?
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• YOu can google school stats, I forget the web site but top rated public schools in the usa. Also, are you looking for heat? Arizona is affordable and certain areas have good schools. I'm in Washington and Seattle is expensive. Schools are ok. Some parts of Oregon are nice, like Ashland (warm) and California is a mess. I've heard NC is lovely....minus the bugs. The humidity you can get used to. If you go to Florida equate the flood/hurricane insurance. Texas is cheap.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I want to get away from all the snow that we have in Michigan. I do agree that I can't believe everything I read on the internet because many people are biased. I've always heard that people down south are so much nicer than people in the north.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Every state has their areas that suck and areas that are good.

I grew up in the Asheville area, great schools IMO.

check out http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/ according to it, NC beat MI in averages

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I actually heard that Asheville was a nice place to live, but is it true about the hippies hanging everywhere?
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• where in MI do you live? there are tons of hippies in ann arbor: ), and it has been a horribly humid summer in south easten michigan, are you up north?
    i live in mi, and i moved to south carolina when i was younger, to escape the cold!
    i loved living near the ocean, and i am missing it now!!!
    another thing you will love is the sunshine!
    being born and raised in MI, you may not realize how gray the skies are!
    if dh and i were to move again, we would choose North Carolina! you still get 4 seasons, and you get ocean and mountains!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I live in western Michigan and I just need a fresh start, even if I don't find a job right away, I just need to be in a different environment.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010