What do you think about getting a baby's ears pierced? Agree or disagree.

I had a mom tell me she got her daughter's ears pierced so people would know she is a girl. Then one of my daycare children told her boys have their ears pierced too and she wasn't very happy about it. Out of the mouths of babes.

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had my daughters done at 2 months old. Had ABSOLUTELY no problems with them. And my daughter whom will be 4 soon absolutely loves them. If I had another girl I would to the same thing. She only cried for the second the hole was being peirced. Never cried over them ever since. But this is my opinion. You can't let other people judge what you do. You are the parent. Even though there are a few things that I worry about. Peircing my daughters ears was something I wanted to do. If y ou take care of them right and if their ears aren't sensitive I feel there is no harm done. To each there own. I am a person who doesn't have time to judge others. I have my own child to worry about. Not yours!!! :)
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We have a little girl with not a lot of hair. I will not put extra holes in her ears just because stupid people can't tell that a baby in a pink dress with a pink diaper bag is a girl. When she is old enough to decide for herself, I will take her, help her choose the earrings, pay for it, and buy her new ones to interchange. But when SHE'S ready.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No...that's what those headbands with the flower are for!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't, I just couldn't put a baby through pain on purpose, and it would suck to take care of their ears when they are that little. I think it's better to wait until they're older, because then not only do they get the choice, it can be used as a reward, or as a very special privilege
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Highly Disagree!

I personally don't see how it is the parents choice to put a hole in a childs body just cause it looks good - boy or girl. I find it sad that the practice is even considered acceptable. Earings are and can be a beautiful addition to any outfit or face, but at such a young age the person who's body is being altered has no say. If this were going on in some 3rd world country we would start a charity to stop it... So why is it okay here? IMO, it's not!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Disagree....at least, that's my opinion on the subject...to each their own. I just think it's best when they can take care of them, themselves.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Piercing a baby's ears ...its for the Mother....not the baby. It is selfish to cause pain to a baby just so the Mom can benefit from it. The baby obviously doesn't care. But she will feel pain. That should be the choice of a girl when she is much older...it is not the Mom's decision to make.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I used to be all for piercing my babies' ears, but after doing my homework on it, I am against it. Not only is it cruel because babies have a much lower pain tolerance than we do, but they have no way of consenting to it. No reputable place will pierce a person's ears that cannot consent to it. You can have doctors do it, but they usually come out uneven. Going to a place like Claire's that uses a gun is taking a huge risk. There is no way to clean the guns so that is putting your baby at risk for contracting HIV or other diseases. A person can always go buy a piercing gun, but again, why put a baby through such pain for vanity that they have no way of consenting to? I just don't see the point.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• disagree
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Completely disagree!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2010