Is being a chef overrated

For the past several years I've wanted to become a chef, but I keep second-guessing myself. I love trying new foods and learning about new things, but I get intimidated about all the things that a chef has to do. I know that I have to work hard in order to succeed, but I don't want to be one of the chefs who dreds going to work because I have to work in the kitchen for hours on end. I want to teach people how to cook and eat real foods and live a healthy live. Are there any chefs out here who can give me some advice?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• the restaurant business is a very hard one. are you prepared to work nights (late) holidays and weekends?
    if you are considering opening your own business, you should really do your research. it is hard for a restaurant to turn a profit, and it needs a lot of start up money.
    i would look into catering, or bakeries as well as restaurants when doing your research.
    working for yourself can be very hard too! you don't just get a paycheck every week.
    i don't mean to put a damper on anything! i just want you to consider these things before putting money into a career that you may not like. some people say make your passion be your career, others say let your passion be your hobby. so, what school so you follow?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm in kind of the same situation.
    Know what I'm thinking about doing?
    Go to the community college up the road and get an Associate of Arts in their Culinary program.
    Then go across town to the state university and get a Bachlors in Education and Nutrition (double major) and minor in secondary education (our state has kind of a weird way of doing teaching degrees). Get my certification for teaching high school and teach "home ec." :-)
    If I decide I can't stand teaching high school kids, I'm going to set up a business teaching people how to shop for and cook fresh healthy foods, how to live healthy lives. Sort of like a green home ec course for adults.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's a lot of hard work and it has to be you passion. If it isn't you will not succeed. And you need a lot of experience to get to the best positions. Get educated. It sounds like you might like teaching. Give that some thought. You'd be teaching what you have a huge interest in. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My cousin is a Chef - Le Cordon Bleu Chef to be exact... He graduated top of his class and you know what he does now? He works for a Chemical company... Know why? There are NO jobs! If you want to open your own restaurant, go for it, become a chef. But if you are hoping to get a job, they are few and far between, and the competition is high...

Honestly, I would say, take some cooking classes.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I want to open my own business because I no longer have the desire to work for other people. I just don't like how these celebrity chefs make it look so easy when it's not.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Just wanted to say good luck with what ever you pick.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My nephew graduated at the top of his class from the CIA (considered to be the Harvard of cooking schools). As much as loves to cook, and is truly a gifted chef, he hated being in a cramped, hot kitchen for eight straight hours.
    He went back to school, just received a second bachelor's degree in political science (magna cum laude) and will be attending law school next year.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That's what I'm dreading because I just don't want to be in a hot kitchen all day long. I don't know what other careers are in the food industry besides being a chef. I really want a "green" career but I don't know where to find the info. My community college has a few training programs, but not anything that I want to do. I'm not into contruction or wind pwer.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think that I keep falling back on being a chef because I don't know what other careers to explore. I've been a stay-at-home mom for over 5 years and I never really had the chance to learn about a lot of careers. I do know that I like learning about natural and organic living, but I don't know how to get a career in that area.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2010