Inconsistencies in Republican party?

Do you think Republicans are sometimes hypocrites? They want less govt, I get it. However look where they stand on some issues. Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage,Ban abortion with Constitutional amendment, and finally No assisted suicide. I asked my republican friend regarding the inconsistencies in the party and got nothing.

Mom2Just1

Asked by Mom2Just1 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a believer in family and marriage and birth control. I believe that we all need to be responsible for ourselves. The Government should have no say on personal decisions. The government should never be deciding issues such as gay marriage or abortion.I believe that parents need to raise their children to be moral and they need to demonstrate responsibility and maturity while raising children.
    BUT I still do think that the country has some problems with the morality involved in waging wars against countries for no good reason. I was a military wife and I support Military and I think the government is treating the military like disposable puppets in their quest for control.
    Is it possible to be a family-oriented,Liberal? And also believe everyone needs health care...so I guess that just makes me a Liberal.\
    I do see many as not knowing why they believe that the government is wanting too much control..they're confused
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• democrats are all about "choice", except for what you can eat, what to feed the dog, whether or not you can purchase a toy with your kids dinner, what you can buy, even second hand, what you can listen to on the radio,

Basically, the only "choice" you have a right to is the right to abort. I could go on for days...

the bottom line is, there are idiosyncrasies in every party

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Democrats want gay marriage, yet the party platform clearly states marriage is one man one woman. Both parties are full of inconsistencies because their individual members are not robots. People see things differently and that shapes their views.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No I don't think these are inconsistencies. I think these are moral issues. They have always been on this side of the issues for years. The balance of a completely government centered nation vs a family centered nation is the plank of the platform here. If you notice, it is on the side of families that the party is siding. It appears to be government control; however, it is the family that wins. Whereas, the more liberal thoughts seem to be that government should be in every part of your life and raise your family too. (I think this was a great issue to question.)

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage does no require a department to be formed and hundreds (or more) federal employees to be hired on the taxpayer dole. Banning abortion is the same, although I don't know that I have ever known any Republican to vow to ban abortion and I don't really see it ever happening. I think them wanting to restrict it to not allow partial birth abortions and third trimester abortions for non-medical reasons is perfectly reasonable and also does not require hundreds or thousands of people to be hired in government jobs. Same thing with assisted suicide.

If you are speaking about politicians in general from both sides of the aisle, I would agree that they all display some hypocrisy.  It's hard to pander to your voting base and also march to the beat of your special interest's drum. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Because a Republican wants something that might need some type of government intervention does not lend them to being a hypocrite. Democrats love to say that when they have nothing else to say.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You will find inconsistencies in all parties.  Kind of like Obama criticizing the Patriot Act, until he got elected and embraced and expanded it.  Politicians try to please everyone to get votes. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The party as a whole is different from all the individual members. Each member has their own beliefs. And the issues in the OP are social/moral issues, which are quite different from governmental issues, to my way of thinking. And I would bet that within any political party, there are member who believe in / want things that go "against" the party platform.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think pretty much all politicians are hypocrites in one way or another

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• This clearly states they want a constitution amendment banning abortions. Good link detailing what Rep want to do.
    http://www.ontheissues.org/republican_party.htm

That website hasn't been updated since 2004. It still lists Jesse Ventura, Ted Kennedy and John Ashcroft and Al Gore as key political figures.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010