Do you try to get your baby to finish their bottle off? (FF moms)

I just read an article online.. And it made me curious.
Do you try to get your baby to finish up the last few sips of their bottle?
And Why?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, and actually encouraging them to drink more from a bottle can cause obesity later in life.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No I don't. I attempted with my 1st child but I learned that once they are done then don't try to make them drink what is left. Every time I did she would puke all over the place. Not a pretty site, and this was over 9 years ago.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My dd was ff but when she was full, I'd take the bottle away. It's not healthy to make them eat more than they want. I can see how some mothers would do this though because that crap is expensive!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, she had acid reflux really bad so it was just more to come up.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, I didn't with my son, although he usually finished his bottle on his own. He had severe acid reflux.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• no with mine they had allergies and I figured when they pushed away the bottle and after a healthy burp they were full.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It depends, I have a month old, and if her last feeding was less than two onces, then for her next feeding I try to have her drink everything, if she can.....thats if she is not sleeping.....I just have a fear of her going to bed hungry....good be a first time mom feeling I guess...
    Marinewife7-18

Answer by Marinewife7-18 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• not really, only if she is starting to fall asleep and she has not drank much. you know your baby. but for the most part no. if she has given me ques that she is done, i will not keep trying.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 7:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• no because if they are full and done, then that is it. For me if he hasn't eaten much and is falling asleep I try the same that they tell you with breastfeeding, change his diaper. Funny how people tell FF mom's don't force it yet when you breastfeed many lactation consultants tell you to feed off one side then change a diaper or get them back awake to eat off the other side. Kind of contradictory.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Carmadsmom--- I BF & was never told that... I breastfed when she was hungry & used her cues to stop/start... Yes I had to change breast. But if she wasnt interested in the 2nd breast. She wasnt pressured...

I ask the question because most moms I know in RL always feed their child, burp and try feeding them again until its all gone... But I read an article about over fed formula babies being the highest risk for obesity & if moms would stop trying to get their kids to eat that last little bit the risk for obesity would go way down.... :)
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2010