How can you

get someone who is so hard to wake up - to wake up? My son keeps two radios on blast by his head and still doesn't get up. Any suggestions.

jesse123456

Asked by jesse123456 at 7:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Jesse....I understand your plight and how you want to help your son.
    I hope that he sees a physician to be sure he doesn't have a medical condition in order to get that out of the way and taken care of.
    Is it possible that he may be suffering from depression and just does not have the desire to get up? I have been there myself and it was extremely difficult to wake me up when I wanted to shut the world out around me.
    If it turns out that there is nothing physically or emotionally problematic in keeping him from waking up normally, then try blasting him with a squirt bottle filled with ice cold water. It sounds cruel, but it's a last resort used by a lot of parents on teens who refuse to get out of bed.
    I sure hope he's okay, hunn. He is blessed to have a loving mom who wants to help him get his life back together. I know he will with the support he seems to have.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I made it their responsibility and they would suffer the consequences. I didn't have trouble with my sons, and I deliberately didn't get into the habit of waking up my husband. The alarm comes on and he must wake himself up or be late. He's never slept though the alarm since we've been married.

Answer by Bmat at 7:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Take away privileges, you don't get up on time, you lose your cell phone ,car , games etc for a week or two. I am sure that will help.
    ledesa

Answer by ledesa at 7:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• How did he get up when he was in the Coast Guard? I don't think he had to be told twice then, did he?! He knows you are there, will keep at him, and maybe he has lost his motivation. He is responsible for himself. I would sit down with him and, calmly, with conviction, say you are no longer going to worry about whether he is up or not. It is his resposibility, not yours. Then you have to be tough and go about your business and ignore the alarm clock.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My grandpa was like that and it turns out he had sleep apnea. He may need to see a doc Jesse. As for my husband, the first alarm at 0430 wakes me up, I get his breakfast and lunch ready and then his second alarm at 0515 wakes him up alot of the times. If it doesn't I poke up in the bottom of his foot with a pair of scissors from my desk (not hard) or slap the bottom of his foot and yell his name. It's the only way I've found that he doesn't wake up ready to fight for his life LOL.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe I should have mentioned that he is 26 years old. He was in the Coast Guard and has moved back home to find work. He is divorced and has a 3 yo daughter. I can't really take any privilages away. He just doesn't wake up. Even when I get tired of hearing his alarms blaring and go shake him, he goes back to sleep. He says he doesn't remember us waking him. It is so frustrating.
    jesse123456

Comment by jesse123456 (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• use something that he loves.. like he gets up for a whole week with out problems he will get something that he loves or vice versa..
    mom_angelface

Answer by mom_angelface at 7:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Hmmmmmm, at 26 and , from how you describe it, really CANT physically be woken up...he may have something stopping him from waking.

You say he is divorced and moving home to find work, could he be depressed? Taking some meds maybe? Making it hard for him to wake?

Talk to him, tell him you are concerned and want to know why he is doing this the way a teen would.

If you think its him being lazy I would kick him out on his own. HE is 26 after all.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Turn the light on and take the blankets off lol. When I was at school my mum would wake me up with a cup of tea and it seemed to work (not throwing it on me!! :))
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• He is not on meds, he has found work, but he drinks those stupid Monster drinks like water. I have wondered if there is something up with the caffeine and the "crash" you get from that. Also, caffeine raises your heart rate which actually makes some people sleeping. I have talked to him about that to no avail.

On the ship, it was the shift to wake the next shift. They would send someone with 30 minutes to shift change to get everyone up. They complained about how hard he was to wake. It is like he is rem sleep all the time. Oh, turning on the lights - no good. I have even made him stand up and walk. He doesn't remember it.

jesse123456

Comment by jesse123456 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010