what is the Etiquette on neighbors setting off fireworks?

what is the Etiquette on neighbors setting off fireworks? not just little ones... the very loud ones, large high in the sky ones that sprinkle debris in your dry lawn that could catch fire and scare the crap out of your kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is your local statue? If they are within the law, then probably not much. They probably think you will like their display just as much as they do and can't conceive of anyone not liking the fireworks. It is a little self-centered to think everyone wants fireworks in a neighborhood.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• wow...i am glad i am not your neighbor : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would imagine if it bothers you enough you should go out and say something to the neighbors and out of respect for one another come up with a mutual arrangment. i.e. only specific ones to shoot off, what time to stop shooting them off.
    We do not have this problem in our neighborhood. All of our neighbors get together and shoot off fireworks. We live in a subdivision but we're outside city limits so as long as everyone is in agreeance we can do what we want.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• crazy people who complain about fireworks around our nation's independence day! come on, are you old and stodgy already, or just wanting to complain? as long as they don't leave trash in your yard, actual visible trash, what's the real problem? they'll run out of fireworks soon..get over it and go have a coke and a smile.
    in other words, pick your battles with the neighbors. when something truly worthy comes up, you'll stand a better chance at coming to agreements with them, rather than picking out the little things. (its not like this goes on all year, right?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• idk i do know in Minnesota the mortar ones are illegal to have in your yard(not that it stops them!) w/e the proper etiquette is and time is.. someone should teach my neighbor it!!! they were doing it till freaking 1ish in the morning, i was not thrilled.. i think it should stop after the quiet ordinance starts which is roughly 10ish
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Check out the laws in your city. Where we used to live, you were only able to shoot off fireworks on certain days and only at certain times.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My brother and neighbors set off fireworks every year. I usually join them. Every year there is this older gentleman who comes by and yells at us and tells us we are going to burn the neighborhood down...This year he didn't show up....I kind of missed him! :) I don't know why, but he has become such an integral part of the celebration....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• dull scissors i dont think its old and stingy... i dont care if ppl have fireworks but to be doing loud ones into 1-2 in the morning is very inconsiderate to others! im not old, im 26 but i just have more consideration for people then to do it that late, at most 11pm but 2am?? ugh annoying!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The mortars are illegal here but everyone does them.  Common curtesy says not to shoot them into other people's yards and to not do them all night long (most people arond here run out by 11pm).  Around here people tend to wet their lawns/wooden fences down if it's been dry and they know their neighbors are doing fireworks as a percaution.

There were still people shooting stuff off at midnight but I just ignored it.  My kids love fireworks, they aren't scared by them.  We stood right underneath on the corner where some locals were shooting them off (in a parking lot...I'm talking professional style fireworks and they were LOUD).  They came home and went right to sleep.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well, any fireworks, even sparklers and those little moise poppers, are illegal here. I would say if it becomes a fire hazard, call the cops.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010