Why do men avoid the doctor's office for physicals when we go once a year and our visits are more invasive? How can we convince them to go for our peace of mind?

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 8:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I wish I knew. secretl it hink they are scared. my hubby needs to go. he has a lump in his back that I am worried about and I cant get him to go.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 8:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my simple answer to that.. is men are morons... lol
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my dad would not start going to get physicals until he surpassed the age that his brother and father died at, so it was fear for him : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Because women are forced to go if they want birth control.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• From the day we were married I took control of our family health care.  If anyone needs a doctor, I make the appointment and make sure they attend.   (Come to think of it, that is how my husband got his vasectomy lol).   Now that my husband is in his 50's, I make sure we both have an annual physical.  I also book the annual vision and dental checks as well.  After 22 years my husband has learnt not to argue.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• TBF, once they hit 40, their exams are just as "invasive" as ours are
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Calling us morons does not answer the questions.....Could it be that we are expected to expose ourselves to women at nearly all physical exams along with such remarks as "you have nothing I have not seen before","be a man and grow up","suck it up" and many more,such as calling us morons....We are expected to accept female chaperones,assistants,writers,medical assistants,medical and nursing students WITHOUT being asked....Example,would a woman want a pelvic/breast exam with male doctor and male chaperone/assistant,medical students/nurses present without their consent....I am sure some would not care(my wife,ex nurse) however I think the majority would not.
    So feel free to demean us males as much as you please,I am sure your male family members and friends appreciate it.....I have a female doctor and she is a LADY,never using a chaperone for my exams and will always ask if she has a student who would like to be present.
    papabear47

Answer by papabear47 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2014