breastfeeding and my daughter refuses the breast milk from a bottle. any suggestions? Also, only pumping up to 3 ounces. Do I supplement with formula and if so,which is best for breastfed babies!? HELP

evj41010

Asked by evj41010 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not a bf expert, but I do know that if you can have someone else (dad?) feed the bottle, it's a little easier. If she knows it's you she wants the breast. I'm sure someone else can come along and tell you more. GL.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• How old is your lo? Is there a reason that you need to pump & bottle feed? There are a few things I can think of that you can try, depending on the age of your lo.
    My oldest would NOT take a bottle after 4 months old. Thankfully, I was able to take him to work with me, so it wasn't that big of a problem. I would guess that if she won't take breast milk in a bottle, that she wouldn't take formula either. She has a preference for the breast :)
    3 oz in a pumping session is right where you should be. That's about the amount your baby would eat in a feeding, so there should be no need to supplement with formula. Supplementing with formula is only going to mess with your milk supply & set you up for early weaning.
    charity987

Answer by charity987 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• First, you need to have someone else give her the bottle, with you no where in sight. It may help to wrap her in a tshirt that you slept in.

Second, this is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• 3 oz is AMAZING the norm is 1/2 oz to 2 oz no need to give formula...formula is for when you can not BF or babies diaper output is too low and you can not raise supply, never base supplimenting on pumping output or by how baby acts, go by if baby is getting atleast 6 wet or messy diapers a day, a really wet one counts as 2.

As far as bottles, if baby MUST have one then baby will take it OR baby may reverse cycle and wait for you to return to nurse, baby will not starve itself. Read up on kellymom how to bottlefeed the BF baby, its a great articile.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

PLEASE join the BFing moms group, I"m a moderator there and we have tons of moms with great experience to help you!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• oatmeal is great for supply too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with the above. Also if you do need to pump this site will show you how to pump efficiently. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Your output is fine! According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Three oz is a lot to be able to pump. It's normal for a baby to not take a bottle. The baby can be fed with a small cup, spoon, dropper, or syringe. You don't say why you are pumping or how long you are leaving the baby so how can we know if you should supplement? There is no best formula, they are all bad.

You can pump one breast while the baby nurses the other and you may get more milk and increase your supply. If you are returning to work, much depends on the age of your baby. Babies often nurse more at night and that decreases the amount you need to leave for when you are gone.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010