Do your preteens and teens text a lot in lieu of talking to mom and dad? Do they totally tune you out?

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 8:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• my 19 year old tries texting me and I call him right back. LOL. I want to HEAR his voice, lol.... and if he is standing in front of me talking, he has to put that thing away!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My preteen doesn't have a phone. My 20 year old doesn't text.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't have an issue with my daughter contacting me by text, rather than a phone call. My spouse and I also communicate via text.

For our family, texting solves more problems than it creates; mostly, I don't have to interrupt what I am doing to speak with someone.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• LOL if you can't beat them - join them!  I text my daughter in her room when dinner is ready.  It saves wear and tear on my legs and my voice.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Last fall my husband got a cell phone provided by work, so his cell phone on our contract went to our 15 yr old daughter. We figured she'd be on it all the time because her 20 yr old brothers were to the point that ALL personal electronic devices - ipods, cell phones, portable game systems go in the living room at bedtime to charge.

Does she use her phone all the time? No she doesn't. In fact, unlike other teenaged girls - she doesn't always know where it is.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The only time my children text me is when they are out. At home we don't text to each other or call each other on the phone.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My sons have texted and called me when they've run out of toilet paper in the upstairs bathroom. I find it hilarious.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I dont mind the texting back and forth because they will text more than they are willing to say in front of their friends. When they are home they dont text while talking to us - I have taught them manors.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010