what is the Etiquette on neighbors setting off fireworks?

what is the Etiquette on neighbors setting off fireworks? not just little ones... the very loud ones, large high in the sky ones that sprinkle debris in your dry lawn that could catch fire and scare the crap out of your kids.

I forgot to mention it is illegal in my state

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If the rest of the year is good,maybe slightinly house your yard and just ask your neighbor to try and make sure they don't shoot into your yard or roof area. We let our neighbors know in advance when were doing anything and invite them aswell.We live in the county and our curfew is at 11pm.We have awesome nieghbors and built great relationships with them.I understand it can't be this way everywhere but I would recommend casual conversation.Honestly I would still watch.
    Babysis_samajun

Answer by Babysis_samajun at 7:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Its illegal here as well. I would call the police
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• At ten, we called the police non-emergency number. I would prefer that my roof not catch on fire.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We've had the same problem. Lovely neighbors the rest of the year just went overboard around the 4th if July. We figured we would deal with it one weeks year that it was a problem. But if this isn't your only issue with them I'dcall the cops, you should be able to be comfortable in your own home
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 8:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't know. But I'd let them have their fun, perhaps go outside and watch.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We always make sure we stop by 10 pm, and we only do them on the 4th, not the days leading up to or after. We live outside city limits and we don't have a burn ban this year, so it's legal out our house.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:02 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well if what they are setting off is illegal and your are truly concern for your children's safety and that there could be damage to your property then make an phone call to your local police department-NON emergency line. Other then that basic etiquette is to stop doing the firecracker by 10 pm. We have a handful that go to about 10:30 here, but after that it's done. I don't make phone calls unless it gets closer to 11 pm.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's illegal here too, but to be honest the cops don't do crap about it. I think about 80% of the people in my neighborhood crossed over into Indiana and bought fireworks. The cops drive around and stuff, but I have NEVER seen anyone get into trouble for shooting illegal fireworks off in all the years I have lived here.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've Just Yelled out the Window at My Neighbors a Few Times Over the Past Few Years. They went till 11:30p on the 4th this year. I was opening my top window to yell out to them and before I could say a word they said "OK, Were Stopping!" But we still have a festival this weekend that opens with fire work on friday. I'm sure they saved some for that!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 2:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Illegal here...I would call the police.
    GOluvvie

Answer by GOluvvie at 10:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010