How long did you wait to concieve baby #2?

My DD is 7.5 months and thinking about baby #2... wondering when the best time is?

Today, we are financially and emotionally ready...

I just wonder about the kidos fighting b/c their too close in age OR too far in age and it be like having 2 seperate families...

I definately want to finish BFing my DD, I can see her weaning around a year or so- she's not a typical "boobie monster"... she actually like her dad more than me!!! ha ha, oh well!

Oh and "god will let it happen" is unlikely (although it he who decided when our DD came) BUT I have an IUD out before anything can happen,,, LOL!

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is 2 1/2 years between my first 2 and 22 months between my 2nd and 3rd. Which means that I was pregnant when the first one was 22 months and 2nd child was 13 months old.

sometimes I think its perfect timing.... other times not so much! lol. But kids are going to fight no matter the distance between them. I do think that 2 years is a good average though.... nothing scientific to back it up, just personal opinion.

I also believe that its a good idea to allow your body to rest for at least a year before getting pregnant again.

Enjoy having only one baby right now. Once you start having more, you don't have the time you have now! So don't be in a hurry.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We wanted three years between our children so I waited. We wanted to thoroughly enjoy each in their baby stages. It worked for us. Other relatives wanted their children closer in age. That's what worked for them. this is a decision for you and dad to make. My sons are very close. There is no guarantee that your children will be close no matter what their ages. You will need to teach caring about each other and hopefully they will be close. Good luck. Enjoy that baby!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Our son is 5 1/2 and we're still waiting. We are enjoying our son for right now. When he is a little older we will introduce a new baby to the family.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The kids are going to fight no matter how close or far apart in age...that's what kids do....Mine were spaced really far apart, and they all fought. My first 2 were 4 years apart. My last was 10 years later. My 10 year old became jealous of the infant because she had been my baby for so long.....I love them all and don't regret any! Best wishes, mama!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My oldest was 21 months when my middle was born (so I got pregnant right before she turned 1). This baby is just about 2 1/2 years younger than my middle. I think the perfect age difference is whatever you want it to be. At this point, we're done until the youngest is getting ready for school. I also have an IUD, so I know nothing's going to happen.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wanted my kids as close as possible. But then my ex husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer and couldn't have any more children. Any we later divorced and I remarried and my daughter and son are 5 weeks shy of being 5 years apart. I had my son in June 2006 so that summer I had both my children until school started and then my daughter was at school during the day and I had time with just my son. It was the best and now my son is 4 and we are trying for #3 and they too will be 5 years apart! BUT I know alot of people who have children closer together and for them it is the best thing. I really think it depends on the family and I also believe God already knows the answer!!! Have fun with your little one!!!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I didn't wait long enough...mine are 2 years and 5 months apart and it's never "worked" for us. However, my friend was prego both times as me and it's "working" for them apparently. It's going to totally depend on your family and your kids.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We have 4 1/2 years between our two. I know some ppl that had their l/os very close say it's like taking care of twins but not having twins-I am glad we waited. You may not know exactly what kind of challenges you might face w/your first child,health wise and education wise till she is a bit older. Also,I think it's good for a childs development to get most of the attention for a while and easier to give the next baby more attention when the first is a bit older and more independent. Thats just my take on it.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well last year when our fourth was born, our kids were 3, 2, and 1!!! So the first was 6 months old when I conceived #2, the second was 9 months old when we got pregnant with #3, and she was 4 months old when #4 was conceived. I LOVE having them close.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well, we weren't trying but our 2nd was conceived when our oldest was about 6 months old.  They are 15 months apart (currently 10 and almost 9).  It was actually fun when they were babies until I got pregnant with #3 when the 2nd was only 4 months old.  Then things got a little screwy because I was tired and sore and had a baby and toddler to deal with, lol.  She's now almost 8.

The 3 of them were/are best friends.  They fight, of course, but for the most part they are friends and do everything together.  They have the same group of friends in the neighborhood so they all play together all the time.  Right now the 7 and 8 yos are discussing the pictures they are drawing (the 10yo isn't home).  I love having them close together and wouldn't want it any othe rway.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010