A car for blind drivers?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20009578-10391704.html?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

How would you feel being on the road with a blind driver? Does this sound like a safe option to you, based on what is described?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like the idea of putting my very life and the lives of those I love (not to mention everyone ELSE) in the hands of technology, which is not 100% guaranteed! Anything that we have that is operated by a computer chip can and does go on the fritz, breaks down. So, nice idea and all, but not practical. I would feel safer teaching the seeing-eye dogs to drive!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I am VERY UNCCOMFORTABLE with this concept. I mean if you anyone has had back up alarms on their cars you know that they go off for no reason sometimes and other times don't catch something until it's too late. I understand blind people wanting more freedom, but humans cannot be replaced by machines on the road where SO many decisions have to made. There would not be the same amount of instant decision making with the time required for the audio feedback provided to the driver the article describes. VERY SCARY
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have reservations on the effectiveness of the technology.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's a great concept, but what happens when the computer decides to go on the fritz and the driver is left to rely on just their own senses to get them to safety without harming anyone else?
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I can only imagine that the insurance on that would be so high that it would be unaffordable (hopefully). Too much liability.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Nope! Does not sound safe to me! Its scary enough driving in Chicago with all sighted people.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Bad idea. What happens if the system fails, then that person gets in an accident and hurts or kills themselves and others. Who thought of this?
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I knew the braille on the drive up ATMs were going to come in handy someday. LOL

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Wow no.... I would be worried about system failure, operator error, etc. I do however think its different that they are acting like blind people are like bats and they can build a visual map in their heads by vibrations and air.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You know, sometimes, when you have certain disabilities, there are just some things that you just cannot do. And, frankly, if you're blind, I'm sorry, but you just can't drive. You must be able to see (and see fairly well) to drive. A computer cannot replace your eyes for you.

I realize that to some of you, my post will sound intolerant, but I don't think it is. It's really more practical. I've had to accept the fact that there are some things that I just cannot do anymore. (Fortunately, driving isn't one of them.) So, I know that it's hard to do. But this really is a safety issue. The safety of others and of self matters more than the blind person's "right" to drive.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010