How long is recovery time for a c-section?

How long will it be until I am on my feet again, I am having to move soon so I need to be mobile.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should have been moving around while in the hospital. The key is to walk as much as possible. The most painful part for me was getting up...I was so afraid to use the bathroom or get off the bed. But take it easy as you don't want to end up back in the hospital because you over did it.
    NYStateofMind

Answer by NYStateofMind at 10:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'd say 2-3 days to be moving around, almost normal, but you are wisely cautioned not to lift or do anything strenuous because it is "major" abdominal surgery. You are going to need help and you are going to need to sit around telling your help what to do and not be doing it yourself.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i was moving around the same day that I had my c section. I experienced very little pain from the c section at all. Within a week I was doing everything, minus lifting anything heavy. Within two weeks, I felt like I had never even had surgery.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• The recovery is 6 weeks. You will be on your feet 24 hours after surgery, but cannot pick up anything heavier than your newborn for 6 weeks. You also cannot do any pushing or pulling for 6 weeks (like sweeping or vacuuming). Doing so before 6 weeks could result in you tearing the internal incision on your uterus. A c-section is major abdominal surgery. You will feel way better 3 weeks post surgery, but remember that your body is still healing and you cannot lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 weeks. I know a woman who had to have a 2nd surgery because she picked up her todler 3 weeks after her c-section and tore her internal incision.

I've had 3 c-sections. With this last one I had a 3 year old DD and 20 month old DS to think about. Since I couldn't lift them for 6 weeks, I had my MIL stay with me to help out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It depends on if you LISTEN to your doctor and do what you are told or if you ignore what they tell you and do what ever.
    Rest as much as possible and let people help!! The longer you take it easy the faster your body will heal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yes make yourself get up and move around you will heal much faster.. I didn't want to get up it hurts but it also helps you get use to the pain in order to put up with it then it eventually goes away. After I got home it was about a little over a week before I could just get up and do everything again. You cant be moving stuff though leave that to your man and others. I think you can't lift things heavier than your baby for at least like 2 or 4 weeks for sure.
    sierranavada

Answer by sierranavada at 10:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I was almost back to myself within a week. The most important thing to do is walk, and don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (or the baby, lol).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You will be on your feet the morning after your surgery (at the lastest).  Like the others said, the more you walk the better you will feel.  And walk straight, not hunched over.  It will be a week or 2 until you are having almost no pain and can be back to normal.

I'm having my 5th c-section in 9 days and we are also moving.  I won't be lifting boxes after the surgery, just coordinating things.  I packed as much as I could while pregnant but gave up a month ago (we are far from ready to go either, stuff is all over but I'm too tired and sore to do anything else).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010