Are the lumps found to be breast cancer ever painful?

I have had a small bump under my skin right on the crease of my breast (where the bra sits) for a little over a year. Well, this morning I woke up and it is swollen and painful.

Is there a chance this could be breast cancer or is it most likely something else?

Please let me know if you need any further details.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Health

• Please get it checked and then come back and tell us what it is.
    We don't want to think that you have waited for a year (there should be an easy way to get a free mammo) and then we said "Oh it probably isn't" and then find out that it is. So. call tomorrow. If you don't know where to call for a free mammo, call your doc or ob and get an appt. right away. Do not be scared, but don't put it off.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It could or it could just be a mass. Either way you need to have it checked out. There are many times a person (men can get breastcancer too) doesn't realize they even have a lump to begin with and it is cancerous. Other times it isn't. A biopsy is the only way to know for sure so you need to schedule an appointment asap
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have always heard that lumps that are breast cancer are not painful & that's why it is referred to as the "silent killer". Sounds like you may have a cyst or something like that, but I would still get it checked. Better safe than sorry, I always say!
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Get it checked out, but it sounds like it may be an infection of some sort.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My breast are full of water cysts and they are not painful, don't even feel them. Have them checked, I have a mamography every year to be safe.

Answer by older at 2:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010