baby food

my son is 6 months old an hes been eating solids since about 4 month..

how often should i give him food? 3 times a day, 1 time?

yes i know milk is what he needs everyday for the first year an all that good stuff so no need to tell me that :) i just have a question for the food. thanks!

akalei

Asked by akalei at 10:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest was on 3 times a day by that age. My youngest was on 2 times a day. It depends on the kid.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• thanks! :)
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• As long as the majority of his nutrients are come from breastmilk/formula, I suggest feeding him when it is convenient for you. Whenever you sit down to eat, when you have some time to sit down and spoon feed him. That kind of sounds awful, but since the majority of his needs are met in liquid form, feed when it works for you. As he relies more on solids you will get into more of a routine - 3 meals a day and snacks in between.

I have 4 little ones so I haven't even started my 7 month old on solids. When I do, he will eat when the other kids do, and if he is napping, he will just miss out on that meal. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with purpleducky, you go with what your child's specific needs are. I offered it at each mealtime. If they ate great, if not, no big deal.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• thanks ladies! :)
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I didn't start solids until DS was 6 months old. So at that time I only offered a few tablespoons of food 1 time a day. I didn't start to offer another "meal" until 7 months. But since you've already been giving your LO food for 2 months, then maybe up the amount. Always look to your LO to guide you. He will let you know if he wants more!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I started my twins at about 4 mths too. I gave them cereal only for a few months once a day. Then at about 6 mths I introduced veggies. I gave them cereal once a day and a veggie once a day for another two or three months. Then about 9 mths I added fruit. It wasn't until they started cutting teeth that I started to give them "normal" non baby food. Mostly after age one.
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• At that age my son ate 3x a day. He totalled 2 - 3 stage 2 jars a day.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Babies eat small amounts frequently. Think snaks rather than meals. You can give your baby fork mashed food 3-5 or more times a day and let the baby feed itself. When you eat you can mash a little of the healthy things you eat and give it to your baby. Your baby will need about 32 oz formula a day if you are formula feeding. You want your baby to gain about 1 pound a month. If your baby is gaining too much then you are over-feeding. If your baby isn't gaining enough then you need to try and get your baby to eat more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010