how many times should my baby take a tumble before I get worried?

The youngest is pretty wild. She wants to climb everything. I don't want to helicopter, but she sure falls a lot!

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son always bangs his head on something. Hes always got a scrape or bump somewhere and has had a few fat lips. They are daring little people!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I guess I would worry about the serverity of the falls, not as much the frequency. Littles ones fall all the time- I would watch for her to bump her head or take a pretty serious fall before getting too worried.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• my goodness i wonder this all the time now especially recently!! my son starting sitting on his own an he does topple over from being to hyper... but usually hes fine.. i think if they start crying really bad or they seem off is when we should start to worry? but i mean if they just walk it off i think they are ok?? i have no idea :(
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 10:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Are you just talking about little falls, bumps, and scraper - or are you talking about serious falls of several feet with big bruising and cuts? My second born fell ALL the time. Always head first - but I think that was because of his big head. :-) There were only a few times that it was a fall from several feet (the back of the couch, swing, etc). If your child is under 2 years, falls are normal. Their body is growing and they are learning balance and coordination.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• About a month ago, my little girl started pulling herself up on furniture & kept slipping and whacking her head against our coffee table or the floor. I thought I was going to have a heart attack...but, now - she's gotten really good at catching herself when she falls and I don't fret much when she does. I really wouldn't worry about it, it's how she's going to learn.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son was rough and tumbly but I never reacted unless he cried. Usually he would shake it off on his own but if it was really bad he would start crying. Then I would pick him up and cuddle him until he either stopped crying or seemed like he was whining just to get attention. Usually he'd stop and want to play again though. He'd also keep crying if he was tired, so I'd let him go to sleep unless he hit his head, then I kept him up and tried to keep him calm and quiet for an hour or so. I would try to read to him or play on the floor.
    I wouldn't worry unless she was actually getting hurt. Most kids are clumsy on their feet when they're really little.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 10:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• no, its not from several feet, It just seems like she is always bumping her head on something tho...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Babys fall. All the time! If you freak out about every little fall (not saying you do) she's likely to get scared or worse like the attention and scream and cry every the time she falls or bumps her self. You're likely to have a hundred heart attacks a day if she picks THAT habit up! My boys are still learning how to walk, and they fall... ALL THE TIME. Everytime I give them a bath I'm like... hmmm there's a new black and blue mark or scrape or bump. But they are SO busy learning they don't stop to really stop to worry about them. Yesterday, Brandon fell and bit his lip. He really did cry over that. It was bloody and gross. But I still didn't freak over it. I just held him and and told him "You're ok buddy" and let him know I was there. Don't worry about how often they fall. Kids are tougher than we think. Oh they are our babies and we want to protect them from every little pain. But that's not how life works.
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm more concerned about your comment about helocopter than your child's falls. It sounds like you need to figure out your role in your child's life. I have 3 grown children and it's been my observation that the young kids that have problems are the ones that have mothers that won't let them do things out of fear and the ones whose mothers push them to do things they weren't developmentally for.

If you have a fearless child you always have to be aware of what they are doing and they will still probably get hurt. My youngest son has bipolar disorder and had symptoms of mania as early as when he was 2. When kids are manic they think they are superman and can't get hurt. He has had lots of stitches and several broken bones. I always made him wear a helmet from the time he started riding a tricycle.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I said I don't want to helicopter, not that I do. If you could see this kid right this minute, climbing from toybox to toybox and up over the back of the couch, you'd understand my fear.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010