Should grandmas be paid for babysitting?

I am a grandmother and am never paid for babysitting. At one time I asked to be paid as I really needed the money. My son refused. So I went out and got a job and now only babysit once a week. Still for free. But at least I have some money coming in. And still see my granddaughter.

My kids now have to pay an expensive school to keep her while they are at work. Why couldn't they pay me and keep the child with grandma?

lilangilyn

Asked by lilangilyn at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Definitely. Right now I'm about to have my 2nd child, my 2 almost 3 yr old will be going to preschool. But with the way things are I need to go back to work. My mom has never asked to get paid. But we have recently started talking about it. Because I need her to stay home with my baby, it is WAY to expensive for a infant in daycare. Plus I don't want someone I don't know raising my child for the first year at least. I want to pay my mom, they get to stay at home, and in the comfort of the care of there Grandmother. But she does need money, and I can't expect her to not work and take care of my kids.
    gem23

Answer by gem23 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You should get paid something. Why don't they relize the money they could save.
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes Grandma should be paid to babysit. If its a 40 hour a week kind of thing. I don't think I'd paid my mom to watch my kids for a night out with hubby. But if its a job, then yeah you need to be paid. You're son was wrong.
    BTW- I have 17 mth old twin boys. So anyone who takes on those crazys should get paid A LOT!
    Peregrine

Answer by Peregrine at 11:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I also want to add, though...if my mom needed money, and we were paying to send my child to an expensive school, I'd be giving her money. I wouldn't say it was for babysitting, because she wouldn't take it, but I'd give it as a gift.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If it's an every now and then "kid hanging out with grandma while mom and dad go to work or go on a date" thing, then I'd say no. But if it is on a regular basis, then yes the grandparent should be paid something.
    I only say this because it's how we work it out with my mom. For a while she was taking Ki once a week for an overnight visit. That was for them, something they wanted so I didn't pay and she didn't ask. But, there was also a time that she kept her two days a week while our work schedules overlapped and we paid her for that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That's wrong. If you told him you needed the money then yeah he should have given it. I feel that it's the grandparents responsibility to enjoy the grandchildren, not raise them or keep them all the time.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If you need the money you should definitely be getting paid. Some grandparents can afford to do it for free, but some cannot. Sounds like your son made a mistake!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldnt want paid unless I really needed the money like you said.... your son should have paid you but is either too dumb or too stubborn to know that ....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't take money from my kids to care for my grandchildren. However, I'm fortunate not to need the money. I know many grandma's who wish they didn't have to take money from their kids. Times are difficult now. I agree, if you needed an outside job for extra money, it would have been better and cheaper to be with grandma. How many times do adult children come back home to save money. Families should help each other whenever possible.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think it depends on the circumstances-- like how often (and how long) is grandma babysitting, what is grandma's financial situation. When my older 2 were little I worked outside the home and my mil babysat my kids for maybe 10hr/week. She offered to do it as she did not think daycare was a good idea and since she was retired she said she was available to watch the kids. She declined payment as she and her hubs were 'comfortable' (with finances) and she did not want to take money from us that we needed. If she would have asked for payment I would have paid her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010