Turning down voluntary overtime

Would you be mad if your husband turned down working occasional Saturdays if he could make at least $200 that day? My husband always volunteers to the overtime. It got me thinking that I bet these other guys are not telling their wives about the OT. They are all big drinkers and my husband heard them saying that they're not working because it eats into their drinking time. Pathetic! Most of them have families to support.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh Id be pissed. Once my husband had already left but was still very close to work when he got the call that he had been authorized for a whole day not a half day and he was going to just go home. It was considered a holiday so it was double time (it wasn't a big holiday though more like a bank holiday) i was so mad I made him go back. I said wow you think we don't a couple hundred for four more hours? Go back!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• NO
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I know that guys need their own time. But I think they should look at it and accept the overtime especially right now the way things are. Maybe they could go half and half with the OT.
    Red54

Answer by Red54 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No because I have a job and I pay for a good portion of the extra activities.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• In my case, we needed the money. He had made some significant purchases for himself we couldn't afford. If money was not an issue, sure take the time off, but I don't remember a time in our marriage when money was not an issue.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe the other workers don't need the extra money. Besides, by them turning it down, it means that your husband can get the overtime if he wants it. My husband has been offered overtime only 4 times in the 5 years that he has worked there. He only turned down overtime once, because he had other plans and he was just too tired to work a 12 hour shift. That would have been an extra $250 but my husband's health (physical and mental) are more important than an a few extra hundred dollars.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Personally, I'd rather he was home with family than at work, but if our financial situation was tight and he turned it down, I might ask him about it. But, if that were the case, I know he wouldn't turn it down. The guys that turn it down to drink have their priorities out of whack. They probably have more issues than just turning down overtime.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No I wouldnt be mad at him for not turning down the overtime.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would rather my husband be home with me for the day than have an extra $200. My husband works plenty, and I value his time at home more than money. There is nothing wrong with turning down OT, unless you really, really need the money.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, he has a job, but the job isn't his life. There are more important things than money. I would want him to have more than 1 day a week off and to be home with me and the kids - to be a family. The kids will remember, and resent, their father chose work over them. Now, occasionally, if we need some extra now and then, fine, put in an extra day here and there. But, he needs time off just like the rest of us do.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2010