Do you use the word "memorize" outside of school, when you learn new things just because you are interested?

For example, if you learned a lot from an event, an interesting book, or a TV documentary.

rital38

Asked by rital38 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in

• No, I use the word learn. Memorizing is only for cramming for a test. True learning is not memorizing.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Memorize is only used when you have to memorize something. Lyrics, a specific mathamatical formula, etc.
    When I've Learned something from school, a TV show, etc. I use the word "Learn". I didn't memorize it, I learned it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I might try to memorize a phone number, but that's about it. I'm always reading and learning about new things. Interest, not memorization, is what sparks learning. The subjects I remember from school were the ones I found interesting.

There was a study done a few years back. Two groups of students attending a lecture, one group was told there would be a test, the other group was told no test. They tested both groups a day after the lecture and then a week later and a month later. The group who were told "no test" actually remembered more details a week and a month later.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I do because in 1994, I had some brain surgery that caused a severe short term memory loss. I still have some residual memory loss to this day. My IQ is 135 but I cannot remember what I ate for lunch today, for example. So I purposefully MEMORIZE things to see if I am improving or not.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2010