What would you do?

Friday night when we were leaving the fire work show at the army base near us there was a lady breast feeding her baby while the car was moving... She was just sitting in the front passenger seat holding the baby. I know we were all going slow because there was a lot of traffic but still you never know what could happen, what if some one rear ended them? My question is what would you have done if you had saw this? Call the police, Get out and say something, or nothing at all? Also for those of you who breastfeed what did/do you do when in the car and the baby got hungry? Did you have pre-pumped milk just in case, did you sit in the back with the baby and hang over the car seat, pull over, or did you take the baby out of the car seat and feed them while the vehicle was moving?

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I probably wouldn't have done anything but talk shit about her to my husband. I breastfeed and we always pull over to a gas station or rest area. I will admit that I have been feeding her while my husband moves the car from the gas pumps to a parking spot, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That's a toughie. I breastfed, but as with all babies, when they're hungry, THEY'RE HUNGRY. Going down the highway and BFing, definitely a no no...but in creeping traffic, cut the mom some slack. Who wants to hear their infant scream from hunger for however long it would take to get out of a traffic jam?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• In NC there is a provision to the law that a child can be out of the seat when the parent is tending to pressing needs. If they were going slow and the child needed to eat, then feed the child. The needs of the child must be weighed with some common sense. I was raised (and so were my children) in the time before all of the seat belt laws. I never heard of a kid being killed while the mom breast fed. I actually stood in the seat beside my mom while we went down the road. I never got thrown anywhere. Maybe they were safer drivers back then? Nah, my mom drives like a demolition derby driver.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm not breastfeeding anymore, but when I did, I have pulled over to the side of the road to feed the kids if I was alone, or if I was with DH and he was driving, I would crawl into the backseat and whip out a boob while the LOs were still in their carseats.

I probably would have called the cops. I'm not a confrontational person, but I would have gotten the car's license plate number and called the cops.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would have called the police and reported the license plate number. I was a breastfeeding mom and had this happen. I either pulled over or brought along a pumped bottle or two. Lack of preparation on mommy's part should not result in a dangerous situation for baby.
    SunnySmiles4Me

Answer by SunnySmiles4Me at 11:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't have done anything. As an adult, I'm sure she is well aware of the risks of what she was doing and she made the choice of what to do. It's her life, her kid, her business. Why involve the cops or anyone else? Why bother pointing out something she didn't already know. I highly doubt if you had gone over there and said "hey, you could still get in an accident and hurt your baby" she would have tossed him back in the seat saying "thanks, I had no idea".
    I didn't breastfeed, but my friend did, and she kept bottles ready and also pulled over the car if they weren't near home. If they were only 5 or so minutes from home, she'd let him cry for a few and feed him as soon as she got where she was going.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• In all honesty I would've probably done nothing.
    I would've pumped a bottle incase baby got hungry or waited until we got home to feed the baby.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Anytime that I see a moving car with unrestrained children, I call 911

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would NEVER BF my daughter in a moving car. We would have stayed parked and nursed before we left.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Good question. I wouldn't have said anything, myself. Going 80 down the freeway, I might have done something, but some times you just don't have an option. At least she wasn't driving AND feeding...
    Ezranight

Answer by Ezranight at 11:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2010