what would you do with a 5 year old boy that waits until the very last minute to go poo?

there are quite a few messes in the underwear because of my son not wanting to take the time to use the bathroom. last night was a big mess, and i have been very kind and patient so far, but am really sick of it now. have you had this happen? how did you deal with it?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Boys are like that. They don't want to stop what they are doing to go to the bathroom. It would make me so mad when my son would leave track marks or worse in his underwear. No amount of punishment worked. It gets better, but my son is eight and still gets twisted up like a pretzel before he finally staggers to the bathroom.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• At 5? Nothing, he'll outgrow it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Tell him if he doesn't start going right when he feels the need to go your going to start putting pull-ups on him.. It worked for my son.. lol
    amj616

Answer by amj616 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Dont be embarrassed...kids do things.

I will tell you what happened to us...My son is 6 and is VERY intelligent. So I knew this was not any type of childish issue. He kept getting poo in his underwear, daily...even sometimes 2x's a day. I was getting so frustrated till I figured out he was constipated. I thought he was holding it in too, b/c he was busy and didnt want to sit there.

But I was wrong, he was impacted, and the loose poo behind the impaction was coming out like diarrhea. He couldnt control it and he didnt even know he was doing it.

I started him on some mirilax, just to get him started and after he was "cleaned" out he as been fine.

Just wanted to let you know in case you thought that might be what is happening to your son.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Some children are afraid of going to the bathroom alone. Ask him periodically if he needs to go and tell him you will go with him. See if that makes a difference.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have a 5 year old that does this all the time also and I dont know what to do about it either. I have tried telling him if he doenst stop when he gets to school the kids will make fun of him but he says he doesnt care. I tried to put him back in diapers to maybe make him feel like he is getting treated like a baby but that didnt seem to bother him either. For the first year he had lots of problems with constipation so I don't know if this could still be the problem?
    Branbran24

Answer by Branbran24 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We had the same problem with my son, he was having poop accidents all the time. I called the doctor and they had xrays done. Turns out he was constipated. He takes Miralax once a day and we have not had any issues since. Might be worth a call since this is fairly common in boys. Good Luck!
    mackfamily

Answer by mackfamily at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My Son Had This Issue up until he was just about 6 as well and was given a Stool Softener as well. He would hold it for days and was in excruciating pain. Good Luck! Hugs!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 2:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i really hope you are right!
    i was really embarrassed to even ask!
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• thanks so much for all of your help ladies : )
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010