My 13 month old keeps hitting. How do I get her to stop?

She hits herself in the head, hits others in the head and face. When she gets upset or tired she hits herself in the chest. I don't know where she's getting this because she has never seen anyone get hit. Is it just a crazy phase she's going through? When I tell her no or stop, she smiles and shakes her head at me, and then goes right back to doing it again.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son used to hit himself in the head when he got upset at himself....I always told him to stop....he eventually outgrew it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I my DS did the same thing at this age, heck he still sometimes does this. I ask my Pediatrician about it and he told me that it was normal and mostly due to the fact that they are easily overwhelmed by their emotions and don't have well developed motor skills.
    I had to be persistent and patient and the hitting has stopped for the most part. GL Momma.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• When my son was that age, he started hitting too. That's when I started giving him time outs and telling him that hitting is not nice and that he's not to do it anymore.
    After a few time outs from hitting he realized that every time he hits someone, he has to sit in the hallway and he didn't like it. So he stopped hitting.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Did he actually stay in time out? Lol I tried that and I couldn't get her to sit still. It doesn't seem like she understands what she's doing yet.
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My son is 2.5 now. He started hitting around 13 months. One person told me to just voice what they feel in one word. So if he was mad, I'd say "Mad! Mad! Mad!" I'd try holding his hand down and say, "that hurts mommy very bad" and start to cry. Time outs started around 18-20 months .

Now he does it when he's just so mad he can't get the words out. I try to anticipate it and say, "If you hit me, I'll put you in time out and take your blankie." He thinks and stops and just growls.

It's seriously a work in progress and about 4 times, I've slapped his bottom out of gut reaction... twice, he slapped me so hard on the face I slapped his face but it was that gut thing. I of course don't advocate it and went to confession to my husband and mother.... I'm really telling you this to make you feel like you're not alone. hOpefully no one gets on here telling me I'm a bad mom! The little guy just needs to learn to commun.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010