Does he seem like your average 11 month old?

My son is 11 months old. I have no reason to think he has anything wrong with him, but just wanted to hear where your child is/was developmentally at this age.
He pays attention really well. Notices EVERYTHING, even the smallest little details, and sits quietly watching how things work...and then will try doing it himself...like turning on a light switch or pushing a button. He is very happy. Smiles a lot and laughs too. Rarely cries. Only takes 2, 30 minute naps a day if I'm lucky, but sleeps more than 10 hours straight at night. Is not walking on his own but walks holding onto something. Started crawling at 9 months. Everything goes is his mouth. Cries when I leave the room or set him down sometimes. Seems to bang his head on things when he wants attention or is tired. Says Mama and Dada. Recognizes his own name, the word DOG, LIGHT, and BABY.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds totally normal! Lots of kids bang their heads. Apparently I did so much at that age that I actually broke my crib (by getting on my hands and knees and banging my head against the end).
    Early signs of autism would be him not looking you in the eye, not engaging with you, not responding to his name, or responding with laughing, stuff like that.
    My DD is exactly the same way with watching details!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sounds pretty average - except for the sleep. Mine were all sleeping a minimum of 16 hours at that age. 11 hours of sleep doesn't sound like enough. Even 3 year olds need about 12 hours! Other than that he sounds great!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i'd say slightly above average...the smaller naptimes indicate a higher intelligence. However, make sure he takes them, because that helps him stay that way....
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sounds average to me. Are you worried about something? Or just happy that he seems smart?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• sounds normal to me! thats where my 11 month old is but she just learned to walk on her own! it will come soon enough
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, he sounds normal. Our oldest son was almost a year before he started walking. The youngest was about 10.5-11 months.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I say hes perfectly fine. My son did more at that age, but he has always been ahead by like 3 months (per my pedi). Hes doing more then my friends 11 month old and hes perfectly normal :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would have two concerns, sleeping for 10 hours at night and head banging. It is very important for brain growth that the brain has food. The longest it would take for breastmilk or formula to digest if you feed a baby right before sleep is 4 hours. At that time blood sugar would be low and the baby should wake to eat and that gives the brain the sugar it needs for growth. If a baby sleeps for 10 hours not only is blood sugar low but the body starts using other ways to feed itself that aren't healthy. I would wake a baby at least every 4 hours to breastfeed.

Head banging is never normal. If a child is getting attention they don't have to resort to abnormal behavior "to get attention". If he is tired you or someone should hold him, not allow him to bang his head.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. Just watch the head banging thing.....it may pass. Most babies get to a 12 hour night eventually. I hear ya about the short naps! My youngest did that and I went nuts, but he slept well at night.......... just wasn't a good napper. Enjoy!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• mom2twobabes- No I'm not really worried about anything, just kind of freaked out over Autism and all that. I know you wouldn't be able to tell at this age or anything but just wanted to have some reassurance that he seems normal.
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010