Would you want your kid's high school to give them a condom if they were 14 yrs old?

Going crazy with the condom questions today.....thanks for answering. I was 14 in the entire freshmen year.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 12:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My son is allergic to latex so it would bother me if they just handed out a condom to him.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Not just because they were 14 but if one of my children felt that they needed a condomn and they felt more comfortable asking for it from thier school than from mom...I would want that available to them. I don't want my children having sex at that young age though...but they are individual people and I can't control thier every action. I would rather them be protected than too scared to ask..and to have a good resource to get a condomn from is a good thing in my mind.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with it. I do hope that she comes to me when she's ready for sex and birth control. So far, we're keeping the lines of communication open, but a lot can change between 5 and 14. I was 14 the whole of freshman year too, and if I had wanted to have sex, I had no way to get the condoms. I didn't work so I didn't have money to buy them and my mom freaked out at the thought of even talking about it. Hell, I didn't even know what it was until I was 16 and had to ask a friend.
    Besides, there were kids pregnant when I was in 7th and 8th grade in middle school. And high school, well there were at least 3 or more girls having a baby each year.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Well, while it does freak me out. I remember high school and dont want my child to get caught in a mistake.

I would rather them have a condom to use if they are going to do it anyways.

To an adult 14 seems so young to be talking about those type things, but when you ARE 14 and in "love" you dont feel as young as your parents deem you to be.

Hopefully I can teach my children to wait, but should they decide not too, I would want them to be safe.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Sure. The younger kids know what condoms are and how to get them the better. If they are given a condom that they can open and examine it will help them be able to get and use one when the time comes.

I didn't send my kids to school. I found ways to show them condoms like in science experiments so they were familiar with them. I showed them in drug stores and Target where to buy condoms and foam. Used together they are over 99% effective.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Why not? The condemn isn't making them have sex.

Most 14 yr olds would take it out and blow it up or just see what it looks like

14 yr olds are at an age where they have thought about sex, that doesn't mean they are going to do it....and giving them a condemn isn't going to make them do it, just like NOT giving them a comdemn is gona STOP them

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No parent wants to think their children are having sex. We are mostly in denial about that subject with our own kids, even when we have open discussions with them.Chances are most are going to have sex at an early age and I would much rather them have condoms available to them than not...so no I wouldn't get upset about it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm fine with that. I have talked to my oldest two girls about sex since they were each 10 or 11, and have tried to keep the lines of communication open. They will have to make their own decisions when it comes to sex, and I can't keep them from doing it if they make that choice. It's better they are protected when they decide to have sex. However, I'd like to think that they have been given the information they need to make the right decision and wait until they are at least out of high school.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You can still get pregnant if you use a condom.
    3gigglemonsters

Comment by 3gigglemonsters (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• "You can still get pregnant if you use a condom. "

Of course you can, but it is less of a risk. You will get pregnant without one!

That is why we have to educate our kids on the correct usage of condoms and other birth control.

As to the question... I would be happy if my kids school provided condoms. I will be sure that my kids know where to get them when they are ready and know how to use them. Not because I am afraid they will have babies, but because I am afraid of STD's.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010