What is a good age to put your toddler in a toddler bed?

My daughter is 20 months old and still sleeps in her crib, she has not tried to climb out of it yet so i dont see the need to change her to a toddler bed yet, but some friends and family think that i should put her in a toddler bed! what do you think?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 12:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think mom knows best if shes not climbing out of it than no you dont have to my son climbed out every night and made a bed on the floor at 18 months so i put him in a toddler bed my daughter stayed in the crib till she was 32 months than she was ready every kid is different go with your mommy knowledge!!!
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My pediatrician says don't move them to a toddler bed until they climb out or have their 3rd birthday. My DD loved her crib and stayed in it until 3 months after her 3rd birthday. Your the mom. Don't let someone bully you into moving your child to a toddler bed before they're ready. Who wants a toddler roaming the house and night or having to put them back in their bed repeatedly? 20 month is too young for such a big transition.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I didn't switch until my child tried to climb out. Until then I didn't see a point in disturbing both of our sleep patterns.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• only when you see that your dd is ready. you know her better than anyone.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 2:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son never climbed out either. He was in the crib until he was 2,then my daughter was born so she took over the crib. We put him in a twin bed and just skipped the toddler bed. Made more room for when my husband or myself needed to go in his room to sooth him to sleep or back to sleep. He loves the twin bed!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Do it whenever you are ready. All my kids were around 18 months when I moved them. They generally made the switch with no problem. As they got older we had to train them to stay in bed. It seemed every 6 months or so they would regress and we would retrain. But currently all 3 kids (ages 4, 3, and 20 months) all stay in bed at night.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think the toddler bed, while cute are an invention of this generation. My kids were all in their cribs until they were almost 4, then I bought them a twin bed and put the crib mattress on the floor in case they fell.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• When they are climbing out. I just bought the cribs where you can removed the side and took it off when she started climbing. I padded the floor with pillows though because she did fall out sometimes.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My kids went in toddler beds as soon as they learned to climb out of their crib. Son was almost 2 and daughter was about 18 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• We transitioned my son as soon as he was big enough to get out of his crib. He wasn't quite 2 yet.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010