Rephrasing a bit.....Do you think when a school gives a condom to a child/kid....

the school is ripping away the rights and responsibilty of the PARENT?

Thanks.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 12:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'll probably get bashed for this, but in a way I think they are. I think it does kids a huge disservice to make them think they can have "safe sex" by using a condom. It is safer, but not safe. In a test, nearly all of the condoms had microscopic holes or cracks that were large enough for the HIV virus to get through. A scientist was presenting this information to a group of doctors and asked how many of them would be willing to have sex with an HIV positive person if they wore a condom. Not one raised their hands. I'm sorry that I don't have a reference right now - I think it was in my Anatomy and Physiology textbook.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes. Schools have no idea what children are allergic to and they could have a serious reaction to the latex or the BC that the government thinks the school should have that right.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes and no. I do have to agree with the allergy thing. A lot of people are allergic to latex these days, so unless the condoms they are passing out are non-latex, the school should really be careful. However, a lot of kids don't have a parent who will ever talk to them about sex and about being safe. If the school would do it right, and educate the kids properly, then it would be less of an issue. However, most of the "education" that comes from schools just makes it sound more enticing to kids, and to hand out condoms with that kind of education just spells trouble, imo.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 12:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i think it should be the way it has always been. The schools should send home a letter for permission and have the parents sign it. The only thing different i would suggest is having a parent/child class for those who wouldnt want the kids learning sex ed on their own. Maybe some parents would like to attend the class with their child so they could monitor the setting of the class and ask questions too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No. The parent can give them to the kids too. But some parents just won't think that their kids are even thinking of sex before the age of 30. Why should those kids not have the choice of safe sex?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm torn. In all honesty, if a kid is going to have sex, I would rather him(and her) be protected. Many parents won't talk about sex with their kids, and wouldn't provide them with condoms. In a perfect world, the parents would be responsible - but I think the schools have tried to step in because so many parents won't step up. I don't think that giving the kids condoms is going to increase the likelihood of them having sex.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Depends on the age of the student.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 12:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes, but I also think this has already been done in so many ways....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• lamgr8teful ~ Thats an excellent point!
    3gigglemonsters

Comment by 3gigglemonsters (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010