Trying to help my 7 year old

I am in the process of trying to help my 7 year old to not loose anything over the summer and to be better prepared for his upcoming school year. It has been a battle from day one of summer. I gave him the first two weeks off after school was out to have a break. He just battels me on everything from the moment we wake up until he gets done with his work for the morning. Not sure if i am helping or hendering our situation. I want him to have more confidence in his abilities. I feel he is completely capable of doing what he is asked but he just puts up this wall and fights. I am trying to not give in to the battle as I know when he starts doing this it's to keep from having to do what he is asked but he is trying my nerves and I am just wondering if we are doing him any good. He is having to repeat 2nd grade due to the fact that his teacher feels he is not ready maturity wise and he tested low in math. Help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• absolutly your are doing him good my 6 year old is doing the same thing so i tried a different approach when im cooking ill ask him to help count the carrots or what shape or read me the directions to me so hes still working on his skills he just doesn't know it
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It makes it a whole lot less fun when they act like that doesnt it? lol. Thats the only reason I won't homeschool my son..because he'd fight me to the end and I don't think he'd learn much.
    Can you maybe look into your local library, some of them offer free tutoring a few times a week. He may do better with someone else working with him...because he knows how to push your buttons.
    You can still work with him...but maybe in the more fun aspect of learning than the "boring" stuff.
    Like make a game out of math/science by collecting bugs..counting them, divided them, subtracting them etc...and then having him look up info about the bugs he finds and learning about them..all thier body parts, what they eat, what they do etc.
    One summer I bought my son a thick work book on math and I told him he had all summer to complete it and once it was done, he would earn a gameboy..but the answers had to be right,lol. Worked like a charm.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Help him do things around the house for the first time. Make sure he clearly knows how to do what you ask and that everthing is age appropriate. Do things together too and have fun together. Make sure he gets lots of praise when he does good thigns. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe try some internet websites they have fun activities along with learning. My son goes to websites like sesame street, nick jr. with my help, he loves the websites and at the same time he is learning numbers, letters, colors etc. Put in age appropriate learning activity websites and hopefully this may help. You can also find free printable math pages, spelling, etc. Try a different approach, if he does one math page then do something he likes to do in return. Giving him praise for taking the time to do some work. I think the importance is having fun with this and not making it seem like something he has to do. Hope this helps.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Learning should be fun. WHen it's not you're taking two steps backwards for every one step ahead. Having him work is good. Making it a battle, however, is not. It's feeding into the idea that 'school' is a miserable thing.

Personally? I put away the worksheets, the flashcards and the "work." We practice skills and keep learning but we have fun with it. You can do math by baking together. You can practice by playing various board games - get Yatzee. Play games that require two dice. Look for games online that invovle the skills you think he needs to shore up. Reading? download all those reward program forms from the book stores, the library, banks, etc. You earn free books and prizes for reading. My 2 love it. ;) Go for walks and just talk. Find ways to re-enforce the skills he needs in day-to-day experiences. Go food shopping and let him read your list. Have him round-off prices and add items as you go, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• here's a few sites we've tinkered with:
    http://funschool.kaboose.com/

http://www.mathplayground.com/index.html

http://www.multiplication.com/

http://illuminations.nctm.org/

also, does he have any particular sports he likes? Baseball has some great opportunity for practicing math. Take him bowling and let him add the frames on paper. Be creative and make it fun. He'll practice. He'll learn and he'll love doing it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your help. it's just frustrating trying to figure out the best way to help our son. I appreciate all of the suggestions and I am going to try a few of them
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 10:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010