My grandmother I need ya'lls opinion on if what I'm doing is right?

Me, my husband and 5 yr old are going to move in with my grandmother to help take care of her and the house she has in the country. When she passes she said she would give the house to who ever is living there taking care of it. She is 90 and using a walker and can do for herself but not the house and can't really cook for herself either. So the city is trying to put her in a nursing home and I don't want that. So she asked if I would live with her and in return we can have this house it's 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, lot of land it's beautiful out there no neighbors on either side. I'm pregnant and because she can't really do a lot the house is in a mess, spiders, her brother let wild cats in the house the messed in the hallways and it really needs a good cleaning. Do you guys think I'm insane for doing with with my being pregnant some people have said I was but all I can think about is she shouldn't be living in that.

MrsMorton080508

Asked by MrsMorton080508 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it's crazy - but you cannot be around cat poop while you're pregnant. Have someone else take care of the mess, and enjoy the time with your grandma.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Get somebody to do the initial cleaning. Like it was mentioned, you need to stay away from the cat mess. Get new carpet or at least have it professionally cleaned. Hire someone to scrub the floors and walls. Then move in!! I don't think you are crazy. It is so nice of you to care for your grandmother. It will be a LOT of stress and work trying to live in the same house with someone used to being alone. Be patient with her! Good luck.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I dont think your crazy at all. I am actually in the same situation. My SO's grandfather is 83 and can also do for himself just needs help with stuff around the house. I enjoy every moment with him and it has actually made things a lot less stressful. Good luck to you!!
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No..your not crazy I think its a good idea and all should benefit from it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, I don't think your crazy for doing it at all. I would do the same thing. I wouldnt' be able to stand to know my grandmother living like that. She more than likely enjoys your company and gettting to be around her family in the last years of her life..help make them good for her. Your doing a great thing. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You're not crazy. Just make sure you're mentally prepared for the task both taking care of an elderly person and taking care of a baby. Not to mention the up keep on the house. Make sure you have help cleaning the house. Some spiders are poisonous and it could be very dangerous for you to be bitten.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think it's lovely, and a wonderful solution for both you and your grandmother.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would say a cleaning company needs to come in first ( for everyone's health involved). Also carpets will most likely need replaced (for sanitary reasons(cats)) Also not trying to sound bad or anything but the whole house issue has to be done through her will and also you should all go together through a lawyer for this matter (other relatives can be pretty bad to deal with as far as that goes when the time comes (even if you think you can trust them) anyhow I would do this to look out for your family as well and to insure that you are not investing in a home or relying on a home that will be taken from you. GL hun!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You are not crazy but the cleaning should not be done by you. Get your granmother's wishes in writing. Does she have a will? Do not delay in getting this paperwork taken care of. She has to be of "sound mind" when she signs any documents. You can get will packets at Staples, Office Max, etc or online and have your grandma fill them out with you. Then you pay a small fee to have it notarized (also witnessed). Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think its sweet that you want to take care of her. Have your husband clean the cat poop. As long as you wont be stressed and your husband is fine with it then who cares what other people think.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010