• In the Spotlight:

There's a lot of condom questions today, so I figure I'll add my own. How old were your kids before they knew what condoms were and what they are used for?

Ki learned right after 5. I picked some up while we were at the grocery store and she asked what they were for. I just told her they go over the man's penis to keep his sperm from meeting the woman's eggs and prevent any babies. She took it okay, it didn't scar her or anything.
It did embarrass me when we put them up and she told the cashier at Walmart that her daddy was going to have a "bonbon" so that she didn't have a sister.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is a great story! My oldest is 11 and I asked him if he knoew what it was and he said "no, should I?". We have talked about it before, but didn't go into detail. Generally when we talk about sex we use the termanology "use protection".

I guess it would be helpful to discuss what protection we are talking about.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• That is funny! It hasn't come up. We watch baby shows on TV and they know how babies are born, I asked my 4 y/o how babies got in their mommy's tummy and she said magic. I suppose I should have my husband explain it to my 8 y/o but, I am not in a hurry.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't remember, but I told them when they asked about it...sometime in elemetary school for each of my kids, I think
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I started telling them about their own body when they were five and when they were ten and older I started explaining sex and condoms saying no glove no love. People thought I should not tell a ten year old about it but I started to tell them so they would also ask other questions along with condoms there are other conversations you have to have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010