Question about dilation? And question for 2nd + time moms

Did you begin to dilate earlier with your second pregnancy? How far dilated were you at 36 weeks? And when does the dr start checking you every visit for dilation? im just anxious to get this going. Its just too hot for me. What will help you dilate quicker? Is there even a way to do that? I've been walking a lot, but i don't know if its helping. Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated

KaylaMarie425

Asked by KaylaMarie425 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I see a midwife, not a doctor. I was never checked at every visit during any time frame though.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No i dident, i dialated with my son 1 month b4 i had him i was stuck at 2cm till labor, stopped progressing at 6cm and a c section, Then with my daughter i wanted to do a vbac, (vaginal birth after csec) anyways i started dialating a week and a half b4 i had her got to 8 cm them stopped progressing so i had yet another csection, it sucked!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I've had 3. From my experience, after you're had one baby, your cervix will stay a little bit open (.5 or so). If this is your first, though, who knows how long it will take. And contrary to popular belief, there really isn't anything that you can do to get labor going. Walking will help once you're already in labor, and having sex can help as well. In general, OBs will check you from 36 weeks on. My midwife gave me the choice, and I told her no. It's just not necessary because you can be dialated for weeks before going into labor, or you can not be dialated at all and go into labor the same day.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Babies come when they are ready. It doesn't matter how much you are dilated and internal exams can cause infections. You can be dilated 2 cm for 6 weeks. I saw a doctor that did minimal checks with my second pregnancy. I didn't go to the hospital and till close to pushing time and only had one or two checks in labor. I was in labor with my first for about 20 hours and my second for 2 days.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You're not full term at 36 weeks. I had my 2nd at 36 weeks due to high blood pressure and would've given anything to go full term (and this was in June). There were so many things we were worried about, low birth weight, lungs not being developed, higher chance of jaundice, feeding problems. I know its hot, so stay cool and let that baby stay in as long as possible!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• sorry i know this isn't really the answer to your question, but it really doesn't matter how much you are dilated because you can go from 0 to 10 in an hour or be 3 cm for a month! i also have midwives. w/ my 1st, i was less than 1 cm at 40.5 weeks and then my son was born a few days later. w/ my 2nd, i was 3 cm at 5:30 and my son was born an hr later.

there isn't anything you can do to make yourself dilate sooner, other than drugs like pitocin, cervadil. but those are risky and should only be used if you or baby is at risk imo.

good luck!!!! i was due june 26th and i kept imagining myself being 9 mos pregnant in this heat and that would suck!!! (my son was born 7 weeks early in may)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It was about the same for me with both pregnancies. I think I was only like a fingertip dilated when I was induced at 36 weeks with my second.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010