How could parents be this dumb and reckless?

Last night I looked out my window around dusk and see these bouncing lights. I am surprised and walk outside to see what it is.

The neighbor kids were jumping on the trampoline WITH SPARKLERS!

I can't believe it! I shouldn't be surprized though, all during the city firework display, these same people were lighting off huge illegal morters firworks, right over our heads.

Seriously do these people have no brains or do they not care how dangerous these things are?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love people who don't judge. Oh they burned down the house, but I don't judge. Oh their father is having sex with his teenage girls but I don't judge. Oh my boyfriend drinks all day long and hangs out at the strip club but I don't judge. Can we just understand one thing here please?? It is not judging someone to notice that they are engaged in dangerous or dubious activities. It is not judging to tell the truth as you see it. Judging someone is when you are using your opinion in a vicious manner to make someone feel bad. There are times in life when you have to tell the unconfortable truth. Letting your kids play with sparklers on a trampoline is child endangerment and all the other people on this planet who dare to judge have a moral obligation to say something. But I don't want to judge.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If they are dumb enough to have a trampoline it's not all that surprising the kids were using sparklers on it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Hmmmm its night, its jumping, with FIRE....not a good idea. What if one tumbles and burns the other.

I dont allow my kids to have ANY toys on our trampoline. The trampoline itself is bad enough. I watch them every second on it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Everyone makes mistakes. I don't judge.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• yea pretty stupid
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Oh geez, even worse...they could have poked an eye out on top of the burns.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have no idea. I think it's a country wide stupidity issue though. We lit some tame (meaning they stayed on the ground and the sparks were only a foot high) things last night and had some sparklers. The two neighbor kids came over to our driveway and just inserted themselves in it. They grabbed fireworks off the trunk and a lighter to light them with. I barely got it out of their hands before they lit it on the car by the rest. They only looked 4 and about 7. I had to take them back home and give them to their mom and told her they were going to get hurt and I would appreciate if she kept them off our driveway. She just laughed and said "I don't mind if they light some fireworks. They'll be fine. Go om back over kids". I was stunned. I just told her "I DO mind and don't want someone else's kid there while I'm lighting explosives. They were still giving me evil looks this morning! Some parents are just dumb!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• one thing i want to do is did the parent know and if they did not care so maybe they are not dumb bht not casing.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 2:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Letting the kids jump on the trampoline with sparklers was a very stupid move, too much of a chance of the kids getting hurt. As far as them having illegal fireworks that's not a big deal, we get those every year.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Mistakes? Come on... those sparklers burn very hot... up to 1800 degrees. I refuse to believe that letting your child do something so dumb is a mistake!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2010