Is it ironic a friend will literally beg for your hand me downs but won't go to thrift shops like Salvation Army to look for deals?

She says she just doesn't have the time. (she does) She cries broke (she probably is but somehow affords to get her hair done, manis and pedis) I don't go to the salon for anything but a haircut and I shop the charity thrift shops for my kids clothes and then the deals at discount stores.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Shopping

• Ironic? Not really. Manipulative is more like it. Your friend could probably go to WalMart if she wasn't so busy trying to think of ways to get someone else to do things for her.

Hey, this is the season to go to yard sales and buy kid stuff for less than a dollar and so many times we've gotten stuff for free at noon or later.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe she is embarassed?? Maybe its the fact that she knows you, and your family that are wearing the clothes, maybe its the fact that HER looking good is more important than her kids. If you don't want to give the clothes to her, don't.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Why pay for what she can get from you for free.
    sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i have a sister who mooches off everyone, begs everyone to take her everywhere...and when i tell her she should try staying at a womens shelter to get help her response to me is " i am not that desperate" ...i know the kinda people you are talking about..don't even get me started..errr!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe she loves your clothes. Take it as a compliment.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If she is broke, it's time to ditch the mani pedi. But I can understand not wanting to go to thrift stores. I HATE it. I don't know why, it just creeps me out. I will accept hand me downs from people I know, and I am extremely grateful for them, but I won't go to a thrift store if I can avoid it. If that was my only option though, I would do it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I'm guessing she's embarrassed. But I dunno. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 2:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I will take hand me downs from a friend but I will not go and buy from a thrift store or yard sale. i find it gross.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 1:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Once its washed I am fine. I am all about reusing. No I didn't give her any. I might want to have more children, I'd rather have my clothes ready to go.
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010