Question about Downvoting

Do you think that it is ok to vote down an answer just because it is stupid? I just did this, and I am having second thoughts...

Asked by rkoloms at 1:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in About CafeMom

• yes that's what it's there for!
    I have also used it on the pointless answers that don't even go with the question.
    "If you had a csection?" "IDK I gave birth vaginally" well duh lady! the question was obviously not meant for you to answer! Find something else to answer to get your 3 credits for.
    Anonymous

• I'm still confused as to what the whole point of downvoting IS!!!! It's turning out just as I thought it would, if someone posts an answer that doesn't agree with everyone else or with the OP, they get a big red minus next to their name. It's so stupid.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I would think of it as an answer that I didn't agree with.....but I'm not sure that I like the whole downvoting at all.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have only downvoted 1 answer. The only reason I would vote someone down is if they were A) blatantly rude without cause B) a total troll or C) were spreading misinformation that could be potentially misleading to others who might not know better (things that are not a matter of opinion.
    I see a lot of just generally stupid answers, and I won't vote those down because I think the ability to vote down has the potential for a lot of drama and hurt feelings. One of my answers was voted down recently, and it was bitchy because I was simply stating something that I felt was best for my family and children. So I guess someone doesn't agree that that's what's best for MY kids and voted me down? Whatever. But someone else came along and voted it back up so I guess it all just evened out anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I've only used the down vote once, because the answer was rude and snarky to the OP. IDK, if the answer was really stupid I might vote it down, guess it just depends on how bad it was.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't feel bad. They won't even notice probably. They were just posting to get a point. I have only done ones so far that were rude to OP or to someone who was honestly taking time to help someone, but if I saw something really stupid I can't say that I wouldn't.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, I wouldn't judge an answer to be stupid. The person may just not have understood the question. Extreme rudeness or trolling would be the only way I'd vote someone down.

Answer by Bmat at 2:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think when an answer reaches -6 it gets deleted (don't quote me, I am not positive.

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Yes. I think stupidity should get a big thumbs down.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 4:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2010