Anyone knows why we produce more tears when we are sad (cry)....not just what the eyes need to stay moist???

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Health

• "Researches that have been done on emotional tears in the past suggest that when a person cries, tears carry with them all the stressful chemicals in the body. Emotional tears have high levels of manganese and prolactin hormone. When these chemicals are shed along with the tears, the person feels that his stress levels have come down and thus, it makes him feel better. That's the reason why do we cry when we feel sad or hurt, because it makes us feel better. "

googled it :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I watched something about this on Discovery once. Humans are the ONLY animals who produce tears as a sign of emotional distress. Not even chimpanzees (our closest primate relative) do the same, though they do have facial expressions and other reactions to emotional distress. No one knows why, though. It's just one of those things for which science hasn't been able to come up with an answer.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Wow! What a thought-provoking question. I found much the same information as DarkFaery did through a web search.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 2:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Dark, I had read that too, but as far as I know it's just a theory.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2010