Natural remedies for adhd in kids

I strongly believe that my daughter has adhd and I refuse to put her on conventional meds because of the bad side effects, but I do want to find a homeopathic medicine to ease the symptoms that she's having. I know that medicine is medicine and I have to take precautions no matter if the meds are natural or conventional, however, I'm not comfortable giving her conventional drugs to treat her condition. I heard that cod liver oil was good and I did try some omega fish oil for her along with a natural medicine and it seemed to work. I was wondering if other moms in my situation can give me some advice on this issue because I want to help my child with her focus.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/tags/adhd-education
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by magnesium (we use a cal/mag/D) and fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• try giving her caffeine.
    the Rx meds are basically just speed anyways.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I heard about that recently and that was going to be the question I was about to ask. I'm afraid of the side effects of caffeine, but would natural caffeine be better to give my daughter?
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I do not have Adhd kids but this is what I have heard. :) Check into food allergies. there are usually some great books to check out at the libraries. I hear the Omega 3's are good so keep that up. Make sure she is getting it in her diet as well. I hope you find your answers.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i disagree strongly with giving caffeine. i would start with an elimination of processed foods, and cut way back on sugar. i would also cut out food colors and dyes. i would also be sure that she is getting tons of physical activity time.
    you could also look into the feingold diet. some people have reported good results with it!
    good luck...
    i also recommend regular chiropractic adjustments.
    and be sure that your fish oil is purified.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Gailll, I disagree with you 100% and could care less about what you feel is "right" for the teachers and daycare providers. I'm not giving my child toxins just so she can fit in with the "normal" kids. If you payed attention to my post, you would've seen that I have concerns about natural meds just as I do about regular meds. I would rather give her something natural as opposed to giving her conventional meds knowing that they have serious and sometimes irreversible side effects. If you want to give your child meds, then you have the right to do so, but keep your judgements and negative comments to yourself
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I stay away from foods containing artificial dyes and I don't often buy processed foods because it is bad for everyone, especially kids with adhd. I also stay away from trans fat.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• A good source of information for you on natural remedies would be a seventh day adventist hospital...Wildwood Hospital in Ga comes to mind....(and I'm not seventh day adventist, by the way, but I have spent time at Wildwood to learn about health and natural remedies. They have a website, and a magazine...Also Susun Weed, who is a green witch who works with herbs has books that may help, she also has a web site where questions can be asked (i'm not a witch either)...do a google search....best wishes!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Natural caffeine?

If you aren't going to medicate your child then you need to be prepared to care for and educate her 24/7 until she is 18 or older. Forget "natural" and homeopathic remedies. They are dangerous and haven't been proven effective. I have a son with bipolar disorder and I home schooled him. It's very difficult to take on that kind of responsibility. It's not right to not give your child meds and then send her to day care or school. It's not good for her, the teacher, or the other kids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010