I dont have any close friends to throw me a baby shower?

Me and my DH moved to CA from MD. I dont have any close friends here. We have only been in CA for 8 months. We are involved in our church and attend weekly meetings. My question is that I dont know if they would step up to throw me a shower. I do not want to ask, either. They dont know if I have made any other friends outside of the church. I know that if I had some kind of gathering they would come. They have already expressed that they would help me and DH with the baby and our toddler. I have neighbors that would also come if I had one. I never had a baby shower for my son and I really would like to have one this time. People asked me why I didnt have 1. I do not plan to ask for big ticket items. I will register so people can pick what they would like to bring. I will allow kids to come because my son is coming, so I want to do before she is born. There is a sickness going around here.

Seterah1010

Asked by Seterah1010 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i wouldn't ask anyone to give you one - i think it's rude. however, i would register for things you need. that way, if anyone asks what you need for the baby, you can just tell them where you're registered.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 2:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't think it's appropriate to throw your own baby shower. I think a lot of people will bring you gifts because they want to though after the baby is born. If you have made any friends at church you might mention you would love a shower but having just moved here you don't think you will be getting one and maybe plant a seed in her head? The only other option is having a meet and greet open house after the baby is born which would be acceptable to do yourself.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 2:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Maybe think about throwing a pre-baby party instead of a shower and invite everyone, not just women? Just a thought.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You can register for the things you need, but please don't ask someone to give you a shower or have one for yourself. There will be people who will give you things, even without a shower. So just buy the bare necessities and wait to see what happens.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Have your hubby throw you a babyshower.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 2:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• One of my friends had a skype baby shower. Her friends and family mailed her gifts, then they all got on skype and she opened them. It was a great solution since she is 4000 miles away from her family. Also, if the bug that's going around is gone by the time the baby is born you can throw a welcome home party for the baby, those are perfectly acceptable to throw on your own.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Forget about the presents. You can just have a party to welcome the baby. You could call is a Blessingway. There is lots of info about Blessingways as alternative to baby showers online.

You really don't need that much stuff to have a baby and most of it gets in the way. You can find great stuff at yard sales and have fun getting great deals. All I wanted by my third baby was a car seat and a sling. I borrowed a co-sleeper type bed. I got clothes and blankets at yard sales, really nice soft things for $1 or less. I didn't think I would have more babies and had gotten rid of all my baby things.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• maybe you could have your husband bring it up to some of the ladies at church....explaining how HE doesnt know what to do and he could use some help?!?!
    Mrs.Barela

Answer by Mrs.Barela at 2:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• No, don't throw your own shower. It would be the same as saying please buy me presents. Not cool. It's too bad, but sometimes even if you have friends and family nobody comes through, so you have to do it on your own. What you could do is to have a welcome the baby party after the baby is born. Don't say anything about presents, have a light meal, and probably people will bring presents, but you can't mention them at all or even seem that you expect them.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• ^^^^ by "sometimes you have to do it on your own" I meant to say that you have to provide everything for your baby on your own.

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010