How old should children be when they have different rooms?

My son is gonna be 5 next month and my daughter is 3 and when they go to their dads for visits both of them share a room with him. Isn't there an age where they are to not be in the room with the same sex?

mommyriebel

Asked by mommyriebel at 2:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I vote for ASAP, but if that's not possible, at least before they start puberty... You'll have to check local laws for the actual rules in your area.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If it's only while they're @ their dads I don't see a problem w/ it, but check the laws...I did not know the government had a say it the issue........
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 2:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• imo 5 & 3 isn't a problem. i wouldn't see 8 & 6 as a problem either. after that it kinda gets gray. of course it's all cultural that we shouldn't share rooms w/ our opposite sex siblings because people used to do it all the time.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• definitely before puberty.

and I am pretty sure most states have laws about being in the same room with a parent. If he doesn't have room for them to have somewhere to sleep other than with him, I don't think I'd let the ex have them for overnight visits. Part of most courts ruling on overnight visits is the parent having adequate space, not a separate room for each kid, but definitely not in his room with him.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• think log cabin, 1 big room, maybe a couple of lofts. lol ;)

BUT when i was 14-16, my 2 step brothers (also teens) had to walk through my room to get to their room and i think that was not good.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It varies from state to state on what the law is and really the only way to get in trouble for it is if someone calls child services on you for some reason. Personally I feel when the children start to feel it is time and that would probably be sometime just before puberty.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If it is only while they are at their dads I don't think it should be a big deal. My exes kids stayed n the room even when they were teens but it was only for 2 nights every 2 weeks and there was not any other room because his parents were there. I think now (his son is 16) his son sleeps i nthe attic with my ex and his daughter and her bf and their son share the bedroom. Since it is nt every night it snt a huge deal. Think abut when families go to a hotel. Everyone shares one room for that so I think this should probably be treated the same
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• They are 3 and 5. I dont think its that big of deal. 13 and 15 then we might have a problem.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I don't think 3 and 5 is a big deal. Chances are my son and DD will share a room until he is 5 and she is 9. You work with what you have. ::shrugs::
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010