putting my foot down?

So last week my in law called me he said I'm throwing ronnie a surprise party at the park! Ima get all kinds of food and I want YOU to invite people who ever u can tell them to be there at this park at 1 on fourth of july . And if they dnt have a gift don't come. I was like rude but ok, so I invited ppl, yesterday the ppl I invited said well its 4th of JULY what do u expect icant go but if I can ill go! So it turned 5 pm and my inlaw was texting me talking shit saying it was my fault no body went and that he wants his son to find a better skinnier girlfriend! We went to the park it was just 7 of us and the asshole didn't bring any food! It was just thecake I made!!!!! It was so embarassing. And he was making fun of me and picking on me the whole time!!! So today is my loves birthday and is it wrong if I refuse to see his family today?

elliebaby

Asked by elliebaby at 2:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• If I were you I would stay far far away from them.I used to be married into a family sort of like that.Its best to stay away.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• His family sucks. That being said, if he wants to spend part of his birthday with them I think he should be able to.

It's not your fault no one came - it was last minute and a holiday weekend. Sounds like it's a good thing though, just cake?? People would have been very disappointed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• it's his birthday. if he wants to include his family in his plans, i think it would be rude of you to not participate.

but i agree - they sound like assholes.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 2:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's his birthday and you should do what he wants you to do.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• it is not wrong for you to refuse to see someone who abuses you. Because it is abuse - emotional, mental and verbal abuse. You need to stand up for yourself. Let that jerk know that his behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. You need to very specifically and honestly tell your husband how you are feeling. Try to this without only bashing his parent. Its about you - your feelings, your hurt, your need for protection and support from him.

The catch is that it is his parent -- if he wants to see his family still you should not stand in the way of that. I do not think that it is mandatory for you to go with him. After you communicate with your husband he should understand that it will be better for there to be distance between you and his parent. Its ok for you not to continue a relationship with your inlaws but DO NOT expect your husband to cut off his parents. that would be unfair. Happy bday to ur hubby.
    Mrs.Barela

Answer by Mrs.Barela at 2:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If I were in this situation I would ask myself why my boyfriend was allowing his family to treat me that way..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 2:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• If you are not already married to this guy, run like a rabbit. These people are not nice, and I would not want to have anything at all to do with them. Your boyfriend very well could turn out to be just exactly like them. I would say this is especially true if he did not tell them to their faces what he thought of their little stunt. It is very important to pay attention to family behavior when selecting a marriage partner. They do not often change, except maybe for the worst!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• damn what a crazy bunch. sounds like he totally set you up. forget his family - they don't respect you and you don't have to subject yourself to them. as for the advice to leave the guy because his family is nuts, there are plenty of people that come from crazy families that are good people and vice versa. you're not in a relationship with them. although hopefully he has the balls to tell them to stop acting like idiots and stand up for you.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2010