Did you know that baby oil is very dangerous and should be treated as if it was medication?

I always try to let moms know how dangerous baby oil can be...I was shocked to find out how deadly a substance it really is. It should be treated just as if it was a medication....keep it up high and out of reach of children.So many moms just keep this in their childrens bedrooms and nursery rooms. If a young child gets a hold of it as many children get into things.... it can get into their mouths and coat their lungs...when this happens the child can not breath, it cuts off their oxygen...sort of seals the lungs shut. So.....keep it UP HIGH AND OUT OF REACH.
Be safe. (:

Cochise

Asked by Cochise at 2:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thanks...That is a very important piece of information that all Moms should know!
    I knew that and always kept it away from my kids....they are adults now. With their own babies. I mentioned this to them,too.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I can't imagine why anyone would "bash" this.....
    Thanks again for caring!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• @Bearsjen: She is letting mom's know to keep it high on a shelf and not where kids can get to it. Like knives and cleaners. No need to be mean. I hope you can learn to keep baby oil out of children's reach and not learn the lesson a hard way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Thank you for posting something that many of us New Moms may not have known. Any little tip can help if it can prevent even one child from getting injured. I wish there were more safety posts like this. I received a few bottles of Baby Oil when my DS was born as gifts in Baby Bath Gift boxes & bags. I had it in his room for a while & I never ended up ever using any of it. I have it stored away underneath a locked cabinet now. I just don't have a use for it. Thanks for the heads up!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It is a good idea not to use it...I also heard some thing similar to baby powder...the particles are so tiny and get into the lungs and can cause long term breathing issues.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• i don't have this in my home, let alone put it on the skin of any baby or adult!
    it is oil, petrol. the stuff for your car!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Interesting. Thanks. =)

And I think she means leave it up out of babies reach.. Not don't apply to babies skin.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I never knew this, my daughter has gotten into it but she usually puts it on her head or on the floor lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• that's interesting. and kind of scary.
    I keep our baby oil on the ledge of our bathtub...(I put it in DS's baths everynight, does WONDERS with keeping his skin soft and healthy).
    guess it will no longer be kept there..YIKES!

thanks!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I never knew that. I will keep it out of reach now! I don't even really ever use baby oil, don't know what it's for, but I got given some.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2010